chapter six ~ this is how it starts.

Mirielle had found herself slumped over on her floor with her face puffy from crying.

"Uh- shiitt" she groaned as she looked at the clock on her wall

10:58 PM

"Fuck." She let out realizing that her parents were in bed and she didn't want to wake them up if she went downstairs for dinner. She looked at all of the boxes scattered around her room and decided to unpack. She stood up and opened up the first box. Her camera and laptop were in there. She hadn't picked either up since six months before the moved. She placed her laptop on her desk and plugged it in and put the camera in the drawer beside her.

She was sick of wearing her school clothes so she changed Into some sweats and a big t shirt.

She went over to her big box and pulled out her record player and her vinyls. She plugged in the player and put on "melodrama" by lorde. Then she grabbed an old a shoe box with the words "PHOTOS" in messy sharpy. She took the lid off the box and walked over to the wall above her bed and started taping them to the wall. Each photo from ages 3 to now on display. One of her and her family standing outside of their home in Berwyn, Illinois. She missed that home so much, she was in a place where she wasn't the only Hispanic face in her class. Spanish wasn't just a course kids were taking to graduate.

Then she pulled up a baby picture of her in her dad's White Sox's and some sunglasses that were too big for her tiny face. After placing more and more memories on the wall she came across a photo of a face she hadn't seen in a long time, her best friend from Oregan. Decca Rae Simmons. Elle remembered that night all the sudden like it was yesterday. They were at a house show in Salem, a red solo cup in each of the girls hand's. That was the first night Elle ever drank. The girls had wild grins on their faces dancing to whatever local band was playing. Decca's wild long blond curls flying through the air. Elle started at the photo for a moment longer pondering what her life would be like if Decca was still around. Would they have moved into that apartment on the coast like they always talked about? Would Elle have even left Oregon in the first place? She signed at put the photo back into the box.

Elle thought she could sit with her thoughts a little longer as the songs on the album began to fade into the next and the louvre began to play and she heard a knock at her window.

She whipped her head around to see who was making the sound only to discover it was the boy from the other night sitting at her window like a bandit.

She walked over cautiously to let him in.

"Can I come in?" He asked in a raspy voice.

"Uh... sure!" The question took Elle off guard but he seemed harmless.

He stretched his head through the window and stepped into her room. Elle stepped back and took this in, she took him in.

But before she could finish processing that thought she felt him press his lips to hers then pulled away.

"Dude! What the hell-"

"I'm sorry, it's just- I had to see you. I haven't been able to think about anything else." Marcus confessed.

"What?" Elle stared at him confused. "Don't you have a girlfriend"

"Padma? She's just a friend." He told her.

She thought about what was happening right now. Cute boy, in her room. She was bored. It would piss off her mom.

"Fuck it." She whispered as she threw her arms around Marcus's neck and leaned in.
She felt his hands trail down her sides onto her waist. She knew where this was heading when Marcus slipped his tongue into her mouth and she laced her fingers into his hair.

—————————

"Wow." Marcus said while staring up at the ceiling. The two were both fully naked laying underneath her blankets.

"Yeah...wow." Elle responded blankly while not avoiding eye contact with Marcus.

"I had a nice-"

"I think you should go" Elle spat out.

"Oh-" Marcus replied standing up already trying to look for his clothes.

"You know... it's just late, and know if you stayed my parents could-" She trailed.

"Yeah...yeah. I was gonna go anyways" Marcus said now standing at her window but a little upset she didn't want him to stay.

"Ok! Um have a nice night!" She smiled throwing on her tshirt not sure how to end the interaction.

"You too?" Marcus saluted her as he left she saluted back. She watched him leave and the window slammed behind him.

She pressed her hands against her head and groaned, now realizing what had actually just transpired in her room. She had sex. With a boy. Who just happened to be her friend's brother.

She collapsed into her bed and realized that the moral crisis that was brewing in her head just had to wait till morning.