Chapter 5: The Echidna that Yelled Jackal

★★The picture above is not mine, belongs to SirinaTheHedgehog from DeviantArt★★

I apologize about the wait. I'm trying to improve the length of chapters so hope y'all enjoy
———————————————————————

Sonic's POV

I yawn as I look at Tails writing down notes.

"I don't think it's healthy for either of us to be up this early," I said as I slumped down in my chair, trying to get comfortable with Tail's mind-reading device on my head.

Tails just looked at me with a 'really' face. "Sonic, it's only 8:30 am, and we went to bed at 10 last night. That's a full 10 hours of sleep. You're fine."

"But Tails, I need 12 hours of sleep to function normally." I lay my head on my arms on the table in front of me to further prove my point.

Tails just shook his head. "Sometimes I don't know what I should do with you."

"Oh come on, I'm not that bad." I sat straight up to look at him directly.

Tails just raised his miles electric and waved it in the air. "My device says otherwise."

"I think your device is broken, because I never lie." I rested my right hand on my heart dramatically.

Tails just started laughing with tears in his eyes as he looked between me and his handheld. "Hahaha! Sonic, you're still wearing the mind-reading helmet, and it says you just lied."

I gently take the helmet off and set it on the table. Chaos knows if I break this Tails would kill me.

"Well hey, at least we know it works," I said with a smile as I looked at the helmet on the table, and then back at Tails.

Once his laughter died down, a thoughtful expression came across his face.

"Okay, buddy. What's up?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing. I just noticed something wrong with the helmet. I just need to do a few tweaks with it."

"Tails," I said in warning. "What's wrong? You have been spacing out a lot today and the day just started."

His twin tails lay flat against the workshop floor as they curled at his feet and Tails wrapped his arms around himself.

"I just have a feeling something bad is going to happen."

I just looked at Tails with confusion.

"Tails, nothing bad is goi-"

"BUT how do you know that? How do you know that Eggman wouldn't do anything horrible like what happened 3 years ago."

Oh, Tails. I walked over to him and hugged him. "Today is that day, isn't it," I said gently. I completely forgot that was today.

Tails hugged me back and with a sad sigh, "Yeah."

We just stood there hugging each other for a while until I pulled away, but I stayed within arm's reach and put my hands on his shoulder. I looked Tails in the eyes, but he looked away. "Tails, can you please look at me."

I heard a small sniffle before Tails whipped his eyes with his arm, "Yeah." and he soon looked at me.

"I don't know why I'm getting so emotional, I know you can defend yourself, and it happened a long time ago."

I just smiled gently at him.

"Tails that's normal, okay? It was a pretty traumatic time for a lot of people, even me." I told him. Just bringing it up, I can remember all the psychological torture and guilt I had to deal with for 6 months up in space, but I just shook it off. This isn't about me, this is about my brother.