Part 6

John and Kate are both mortified. They got a little too frisky in the kitchen last night and Esther walked in on them. Now Kate has to deal with the situation. "Esther? We have to talk about last night." Esther doesn't stop painting. "Do we?"

"Yes, we do." Mercy, who's also in the room, puts down her paintbrush. "Should I go?" Kate considers for a second. Esther probably told her what she saw. "Did Esther tell you what happened?"

"Yes." She blushes. "Ok, then you should stay." She focuses her attention back on Esther, who is still painting like nothing's wrong.  "See, there are certain things that grown-ups do...... that children aren't supposed to see. And that was one of them." Is she even paying attention? "Esther, listen to me. When grown-ups love each other very, very much......they wanna show each other that love. Express it." Esther finally turns to look at her mother. "I know. They fuck." She says it in such a nonchalant manner that it leaves Kate momentarily stunned. But Mercy isn't. "Esther, language!" So she's said it before? 

John and Kate are discussing the cuss word incident from earlier. They anren't anywhere near the same page. "She could've picked it up anywhere. Probably at school." John doesn't think it's that big a deal. "This wasn't something she overheard. I mean, she knew what it meant."

 "And, Babe, the way she said it is... I don't even think she expected to get in trouble over it. And the way Mercy reacted makes me think this isn't the first time."

"Fine. Well, what did you have in mind?"

"I thought we could take her to Dr. Browning." The psychiatrist? For one swear? Is she serious? "I don't think we need to take her to the shrink quite yet."

"Well, you know, we just don't know that much about her. The family she stayed with  could've been like: "Pass the fucking potatoes"at dinnertime, you know? If she's saying it to my face, what Is she saying when we're not there? I don't want her exerting that kind of influence over Max." Ok, fair point.

"Anyway, I just don't want to make a big deal out of one little dirty word. 

"Fine. Fucking spend some time with her, then." 

"All right, Bitch." They laugh.