Chapter 6 ● Talents

-- Sameer --

"Remember to upload your results to the Shared Drive before you leave. Otherwise you are all dismissed, have a good rest of your week," the professor announces to the class while everyone shuffles around to run off to their next class.

I didn't want to leave just yet. The lab was just getting exciting and I wanted to continue messing around with the digital rat. As weird as that sounded, this class was probably my favourite this semester and the two hours every week just flew by. 

"Muskaan and I are meeting for lunch, do you want to join?" Suhana asks as we exit the lab.

I check my schedule on my phone quickly, making sure I had a bit of time before my next class. I was supposed to study for an upcoming test but I guess that can wait. "Yeah I've got a 30 minute break, I'm down."

Suhana hums, holding the door open for me with a look. "Of course you're down. She won't tell me a thing, so I'm going to ask you. What is going on between you and Muskaan?"

"We're just hanging out," I repeat the same thing I've said to Ruhaan and the rest of the guys a million times now.

"I expected more from you Sameer. She told me the truth, I expected as much from you as well as my lab partner. We're traumatizing a rat together," she shakes her head disapprovingly. I grin apologetically. "For the record, I think it's a smart plan. Muskaan, God bless her but she was never going to figure this out on her own."

"Well it was my plan," I rib smugly.

We're about to reach the dining hall but Suhana stops at the bottom of the steps to the building, turning to me. "Look Sameer," she looks around, making sure there weren't people in earshot. "Muskaan is basically my sister and I think maybe she's being a bit overly optimistic about this. But whatever, you kids have your fun. Just don't fuck with her alright? Or I'll fuck you up." She actually is scary when she wants to be.

I realize if there's someone who could answer some of my questions, it would be Suhana. She must know everything about Muskaan, they've been friends since before university from what I know. "Let me ask you something then. Is she just getting out of a relationship or something? I did ask her out but she wasn't interested in that."

Suhana sighs, kicking a small rock off the sidewalk. "I can't tell you things she hasn't shared with you on her own. But you don't have to worry, the problem is not you. In fact, I think with enough buttering, you'll convince her for a date eventually. Respectfully of course." She smiles in a way that makes me feel like we've just shared a secret.

"Of course."

We walk through the giant doors of the old building that is now the massive dining hall. It's past the regular lunch rush and so Suhana spots Muskaan easily. She's got her face buried in a textbook, highlighting away at everything she reads. Suhana says she's going to grab her food first before sitting down, so I make my way over to Muskaan on my own.

"Hi VP," I greet, sliding into a chair across from her.

She looks up with a smile, capping her highlighter and giving me her full attention. "Are you only going to refer to me by my titles now, PG?"

"PG?"

"Point guard. Isn't that what you are?"

I grin. "So you know about my talents and skills I see."

She nods slowly, twirling her highlighter between her fingers. "I've seen a game or two."

Suhana appears then with her lunch, sitting down beside Muskaan but I don't take my eyes off of Muskaan. "Will you meet me at the court later today? I have something to show you."