Chapter 11 ● Good Thing

-- Muskaan --

Sameer unlocked the door to his condo that he shared with Ruhaan and his cousin Zain. The building was already such a step up from mine, solely based on the nice carpeting in the hallway and the fact that he didn't have to shove the door off of its hinges to open it. He lets me through before shutting and locking the door behind me.

The condo is an open concept, and from the doorway I can see the kitchen, living room, and a few doors around that presumably less to bedrooms. Zain is sitting on the couch with a textbook. He looks up when he hears us come in and suddenly I feel embarrassed for not putting in more effort to not look like a complete mess.

"You've met Zain," Sameer places a gentle hand on my lower back. "Let's put your bags down here. You hungry?"

I look to him, not sure what I want to respond. I was coming down from a full blown panic attack, something I hadn't had in over a year, and I forgot what I need to do to snap back out of it.

My face must have been as blank as a piece of paper, but thankfully he understood. He leads me to the living room and sits me down on the empty couch, taking a spot beside me. His fingers lace through mine, resting on my knees as he looks up to his cousin.

"Zain?"

With just that one word, it seemed the two boys had communicated everything. Zain nods, closing his textbook with the highlighter saving his page. "I'm really sorry about what happened Muskaan. But I'm glad Sameer brought you here, I think that was the best thing for tonight."

Sameer nods along with his cousin's words. "Should we call the police?"

"We could," Zain's voice is so calm and collected, the total opposite of what I'm feeling inside. "But you both should think about what your story is going to be. Calling the police means getting questioned about what's happening in that photo."

My head snaps up. I hadn't even thought about that. My own safety may be at risk but now my academic future would be ruined too if the university found out about my breaking and entering. God forbid anyone take action on the multiple assaults and disappearances happening around here but there is no doubt they'd come down on me hard. "No police!"

"Muskaan," Sameer rubs my back soothingly, "are you sure about that? Wouldn't it be best to get some help with this?"

"No," I shake my head furiously. "I can't risk getting in trouble and what if we don't even find the person who sent me this note. Nothing will come of this except me getting in trouble."

Sameer's hand stops its motions. "Muskaan, don't be ridiculous. Us being a couple of dumb kids is not equivalent to you receiving threatening notes to your home."

"I actually agree with her," Zain surprises me with his words. "We don't really know how much danger she is actually in. Is it worth exposing yourselves to the administration and getting in deeper shit?"

"Zain," Sameer frowns. Zain raises his hands up in front of him, as if he is surrendering to Sameer's choice. "She can't go back there."

"Why don't you hang out here for a day or two Muskaan and then we can figure things out?" Zain suggests. It's clear he is the one Sameer and Ruhaan look to for guidance. He just has an air of responsibility.

I nod once, too tired now to make any more decisions. Sameer helps me up and leads me to one of the bedrooms. It's clear it's his upon opening the door. There's some basketball stuff around, but also a few psychology textbooks and a couple fidget toy type things on his small desk.

"You can take my room. If you're okay with that?" Sameer sets my bag down onto the foot of the bed. 

I turn to him, trying to give him a grateful smile. "I'm really sorry for tonight Sameer. I'm imposing so much."