6 - Hell Hounds

The road rumbled beneath my feet

The road rumbled beneath my feet. Parthenia was just as unstable with all that trembling in my arms, and upon realising she was holding me recoiled in disgust.

'Don't touch me!' she threw her scarf at me as if it were a live snake she'd hoped would spit its venom. Her sneer and the worry lines in her brow were so jarringly different to the dewy-dopey-darling pictures she had on Favebook.

Parthenia Georgiou who was all over Zan in that post. A bright and smiling girl who was every traditional parent's wet dream. That post was one of the few that was public to those off her friend list...

It was enough to make an impact. To force that chocolate syrup bottle in one hand—with a bowl of vegan hazelnut ice cream in the other. You know that good expensive case that was organic and had fancy ethical sources of ingredients.

That night was nothing now.

The miseries of a week ago were nothing compared to the despair engulfing me now.

The only dewy glow she had was the red-hot light from the horizon catching the drips of sweat down her temple. The large lush trees made all kinds of dark shapes on her face contorting her fear-riddled face in a similar hollow way to Matisse's.

Crack.

I yelped and held back from hugging her again though I felt incredibly volatile, like the concrete was merely the skin containing rippling muscles of something too colossal to comprehend. Like something living was writhing right beneath my bare feet.

I don't know how much I can take before my heart stops.

I wish it would.

A spear of scarlet split through the road. Steam poured up my legs in a hot fury and I leapt away nearly tumbling on my arse as the trail of the dress wrapped my foot. I caught myself upright and squealed like a live-cooked pig.

The air was thick with heat that enclosed you in your sweat but at least the cracks hadn't spread too far or broken into a gorge.

It was more than a threat—a promise of completely giving away and swallowing us whole.

'Do you hear that?' I said.

'Yes...' Parthenia sounded like she really wished didn't.

The bell of a tram rang hectically close by. People were gushing around the end of the street all screaming in terror as the tram barrelled after them. It sped too fast around the bend and derailed. I thought for a second that whatever was driving it was trying to ram through people like a raging bull.

Then the blazing beasts came and crashed purposefully into the middle carriage driving it to flip on its side. The morbid interest to get a better look at the creatures nearly consumed me but thankfully, the people running at me—therefore tempting the beasts my way woke—me up from that idiotic stupor.