Chapter 2

Izzy and I found plenty to keep us entertained, inside the house and out. I especially enjoyed pillow fights and I was happy to have Izzy as a teacher. Through Izzy, I learned how to be a child; something even the highest paid teachers could not give me. Izzy was my first and best friend. She would always carry a place of great value in my heart. If I had not had Izzy in my life, I would have missed so many wonderful, simple pleasures.

Soon, Reuben had warmed up to me as well and before our first summer together had ended, the three of us were the best of friends. I knew that Izabella, Reuben and I had created an unbreakable bond. The two children who had come to my home as strangers had given me something that could not be erased from my memory.

The summer's end was drawing near and neither Izzy nor I would speak of it, but we both had feared seeing it come. "What if you could come to town and go to school with the rest of the children?" While playing a game of chess, the silence had finally broken and there was a tone of desperation in Izzy's voice.

"I wish I could Izzy, but my father doesn't approve of the public school in town. He doesn't think I will learn as well as being taught by the tutors here."

"Well that's just silly!" Izzy scoffed. "I go to school in town and I'm just as smart as you are, don't you think?"

"Of course you are, Izzy." I reassured her, "my father is just strict in his ways and asking him would be a waste of time."

"Then why don't you ask your mother?" Izzy asked. I could tell by her smirk that she believe she had the best solution to the whole situation. "When my father tells me no, I go to my mother and then she talks to him for me. He always changes his mind after that."

"I'm not sure, Izzy;" she confidently cut me off before I could finish.

"Trust me, works like a charm, every time." I didn't know whether Izzy's suggestion would work at all, but I figured anything would be worth trying.

I wanted to go to the school in town so badly. I wanted to meet the other children. I wanted to know that I could see Izabella every single day. I began planning my argument. It had to be well thought out and full of pleading moments that would tug at my mother's heart and sway her to speak to my father. Of course I knew that would not be an easy task by any means.

I waited for the perfect moment, a time and place when I knew she would be alone. She often liked to sit in the arboretum after lunch, working on a sampler, soaking in the afternoon sun that spilled through the glass enclosure. I took my time walking the fifty foot corridor to practice my lines and ensure the most convincing delivery. The massive four-pane windows stretched from ceiling to floor bringing the outside in and lighting my path on the way. I reached the tall glass door framed in iron, and just before placing my shaking hand on the brass door knob, I stopped to straighten and tuck my white blouse.

Putting on a facade of confidence, I pushed open the door and walked to my mother who was sitting exactly where I had expected. The little brass settee was just wide enough for her to be comfortable. The intricately twisted metal curled behind her and rose to cradle her back as she lounged on its flowered cushion with her embroidery in her lap. She was always so peaceful in these moments. I remember her auburn hair sitting neatly atop her head. The humid air caused tiny curls to fall away, and the bright sun behind her gave her the silhouette of a cameo broach. She looked up and smiled with her golden eyes in my direction. "Damien, son; is there something you need?" She spoke so soft with the most comforting and warm tone.

I smiled back at her. I had almost forgotten my reason for disturbing her in such a peaceful moment. I stood staring for a moment trying to recollect the words that I was sure I had practiced so well. I looked down and my brow furrowed as I put a finger to my mouth in deep thought. "Damien, is everything alright, are the Morgan children getting along well?"