Chapter 6

The meeting went on for maybe an hour. The men spoke mostly of logistics. More importantly, my father began filling in the gaps of his detailed plans for my future with the firm.

I would in fact, be groomed to be made partner. It was a great honor, but one I was not excited to receive. In spite of my attempts at reassuring him, Reuben's fears were not all wrong. With no plans in place for his own partnership, I would one day be in a position to take over the entire firm.

I should have been happy. All I could do was focus on the sinking feeling in my stomach. I only had to look at Reuben for a second. Even though I had just heard the news myself, I could easily see he felt betrayed.

The rest of the meeting turned to useless chatter "The table is set, sir. The meal is being held until you arrive." Thomas had been with our family my entire life. I sat straight up as his deep, booming voice cut through the chatter.

"Gentlemen," my father stood and the rest of us followed his lead. "I believe our presence is required at the dinner table." I put a hand on Reuben's shoulder as our fathers walked away.

I wanted to apologize or help him understand that I had no idea what the plan had been. "Don't touch me!" He pulled away from me without even looking. "We have nothing to say to each other, Damien!"

I kept my eyes on my meal that night. I only cared about avoiding eye contact with Reuben, who I could feel staring daggers at me through the top of my head. No doubt, the others at the table could feel the tension as well.

After dinner, we all retreated to the parlor where we were supposed to relax, socialize, and play games. My father and Mr. Morgan only wanted to talk more about the firm. Mr. Morgan opened his mouth to speak and I sunk deep into my leather seat.

The mindless chatter once again filled the room and my eyes began to wander. I was not looking for anything particular, just something to break the monotony of the noise in my head. Finally, my eyes had found their focus.

Izzy was sitting just behind her father playing cards with my mother and Mrs. Morgan. I was captivated to the point of staring. My mother, who had been paying attention, stood and crossed the room to refresh her teacup.

She turned her head toward me and with only a look said, "Eyes back on your father son." I smile when I think of my mother and her subtle ways. I believe she must have been the cleverest woman to come falling from the heavens. She was an angel to me, even as I had grown.

She had heard enough talk about the firm. "Vasyl, let the boys go be boys now." On her way back to the card game, she stopped to put her hand on my father's shoulder. "Damien will be leaving soon and they only have a little time to catch up."

Father reached up, tapped mother's hand, and nodded in agreement before turning his eyes to Mr Morgan for mutual approval. "Yes, that's alright then, Vasyl." Irfan's bellowing tone always seemed to echo through a room. "Go on boys, go find mischief; but not too much."

Reuben got up in a hurry. He had not even bothered looking back as he rushed out. Though I was concerned for his feelings about the news of the day, I had other things on my mind.

I knew the ladies would be finished with their game soon. Perched with a book, I sat waiting on a bench in the corridor near the back gardens. Izzy had grown fond of taking the long walk to her room when her family stayed.

The moon was full, and shone bright through the tall windows. With the aid of a dimly lit lantern, I had all the vision I needed. I was not paying attention to my book anyway.