Prologue

Precision sight granted by eyes, which glowed fiercely in the dark of night. Flesh piercing fangs, sharp and hot; designed to kill with only one bite. Heightened smell, sound, strength and speed; ensuring a meal never missed.

Vampire. I was a predator; neither living nor dead. I was made into a creature only heard of in nightmares. My first instinct was to hunt and feed; I was untrustworthy to even myself.

Every person I looked at was a walking meal. The smell of their blood carried on the wind. Some of them were so sweet, my mouth watered and my gut ached. I needed to taste them all; drain them empty.

I forced myself to learn control. No matter how gut wrenching, I had to withstand being around humans. True, I had a deep respect for human life. More than that, I feared unleashing a monster from within that I could never control.

I only drank cold blood from the stolen bags I kept hidden in a cooler. Hospitals, blood banks, medical labs; all were fair game for a quick supply raid. We never raided in abundance, or stayed in one place long enough for anyone to notice our presence.

My only companion in the nightmare I had awakened to, was Matthew. He had been my best friend for the five years I was away at school. Now fate had twisted the universe so that we would spend eternity together.

When he rescued me from the tomb, I could barely comprehend what he was saying. My life as I knew it was completely gone. Even so, he was a trusted friend; like a brother to me. In spite of everything, I did not have to fear being alone; or so I had thought.

It was not long after that I would find Matthew was not the companion I had hoped he would be. He was certainly not the proper mentor for the teaching I needed. At times, he seemed as clueless about how to be a Vampire as I was. Unlike myself, he preferred drinking straight from humans; and he indulged himself often.

He said a family of vampires had taken him in for some time. They had taught him how to control his appetite. That was only somewhat true.

They taught him how to stop draining people to death. They taught him how to make his victims feel safe in his arms. They even taught him how to make his victims forget. However, his appetite seemed more insatiable than my own.

Vampires live in the darkness. Hidden in plain sight, they prefer to socialize when the sun goes down. The busy nightlife of young singles, however cliché; provide an ideal hunting ground for the cunning predator.

Finding vampires is difficult. They do not want to be found. No matter how lousy a mentor, Matthew was my only companion. As my companion and friend, he promised to help me find one. As much as I did not like to admit it, I needed him.