Chapter 5

Like a child grown tired of a tantrum, I had fallen asleep and for the first time ever failed to meet the Morgan family at their arrival. Instead I awoke, rather unsettled; to find Reuben standing over my bed.

I jumped up rather quickly and began rambling off to Reuben. Odd as it was, I did not even bother to question how I came to find him in my room. I was in more need of flooding his ears with every detail of father's plan for me.

I don't know what I expected of Reuben. Maybe I had hoped he would know some wonderful way to escape leaving. I was heartbroken to abandon that summer. I knew there would not be another. I let all of my words vomit thoughtlessly out of my mouth, and then all at once, I stopped to acknowledge Reuben.

"How incredibly rude of me brother, forgive me," I said, grabbing Reuben's hand for a proper greeting. I was ready to leap into a lengthy apology for my rude behavior when finally I notice, the unsettled, almost sick look on my friend's face.

Reuben, the most care free spirit I have ever known, was completely troubled. He hadn't even noticed my own outburst because he started in with his own as soon as I shook his hand. "I'm scared to death, Damien. My father has been acting really strange lately."

There was real concern in his face, I wanted to help, but I had no idea what he was talking about. "Strange? How do you mean, Reuben?"

His voice strained to cover up an instinct to whine when he was worried. "Well, you know; I'm always goofing around and I've never really had my head in the business, it's tough for me."

"I'm still not sure I follow you, Reuben."

"Damien, I've been working at the firm for almost a year now and father's always complaining I need to grow up."

"He's always complained of that. How is that strange?"

"It's not just him, it's your father too, Damien; both of them always acting so secret, never letting me in on anything going on. I'm just an errand boy around there."

"Well, Reuben; you're only eighteen."

"No, they're supposed to be grooming me, teaching me; but they keep me at odd jobs now more than ever."

"Reuben, that means nothing. What are you even getting at?"

"Damien, I'm afraid our fathers are going to completely cut me out of the business."

"Whatever gave you that idea?" I said with a chuckle.

"Well, like I said, it's always been tough for me; the numbers and all. You are a genius, Damien. When you turn eighteen, I'm sure the whole thing is going under your control."

I burst into laughter, "Now I know you weren't paying attention to my ranting."

"What's the big joke, Damien; what's so funny about this to you?"

"I'm sorry; it's just that; I'm not even going to be here in a year. Father is sending me away to Business school. I've told you that already."

Reuben hopelessly threw himself down on the bed and with his face hidden in the palms of his hands, began his moaning on. "I don't know how I'm ever going to make my father happy. I'll never be as smart as you, Damien. My father has always wanted me to be more like you."

He was starting to feel more and more sorry for himself. His theory about me being sole heir to the business was obviously a delusion of his own making, but he found no hardship in picking any number of other insane fears to dwell on.

"My father is going to fire me I just know it, I never went to University. I don't know anything about running a business and keeping it successful. I am doomed to be a failure for the rest of my pathetic life. I will never marry, or have smart children..."

The more absurd Ruben's whaling became, the less I felt the need to pay attention to him. Instead, my eyes had wandered to the window and the gardens out back. Mrs. Morgan and mother were sitting under an umbrella covered table visiting and sipping tea.

Scanning the garden landscape, my eyes had been captivated by the most stunning vision I had ever seen. Isabella had left the summer before a child, but returned a woman.

She was breathtaking. The shape of her mature body excited me in ways I had never felt. I found myself lost staring at the way her dress ribbon hugged her body just under her breast.

I could not help imagining my hand reaching out for the curve of her waist, to pull her close to me. I felt guilty when she looked up to my window and caught my gaze. My eyes darted away quickly, but then back to her again.

She smiled and waved at me. I could only stare back. Her loosely worn braid allowed tiny raven hairs to escape and blow gently across her face in the afternoon breeze. I wanted to capture her face in a portrait.

A fearful thought crept into my mind and interrupted my daydream. I could feel the heat once again rising in my face. My father was sending me away in just a few days. I would not have any time at all with my sweet Izzy.

In that moment, I swallowed my fear and pity and made a very quick decision. Every moment I was still home, would be devoted to her. I would shower her with attention and show her how I had begun to feel. I would not let her easily forget me.

Somewhere in the distance, Ruben's voice began calling my attention back into the room. The distant echo of his ramblings had now started piercing my ears. He was standing right behind me.

"What are you even looking at, Damien?" He was peering passed my shoulder into the gardens. "What's so interesting out there?"

"Nothing, Reuben; Izzy was just waving, I didn't want to be rude."

"Were you even listening to me?" His brow furrowed.

I turned my attention back to him. "Yes, I was, I heard everything you were saying."

"Well, what about this meeting we're supposed to have? Your father says he's got some big announcement."

"Don't worry brother," I said, "I've already spilled the big announcement to you."

"Oh yeah, what's that?" He questioned.

I was rather frustrated at his absence of mind but chose to ease his concern anyway. "Ruben, you're doing just fine," I said.

"My father is going to announce that he's sending me away, that is all."

Ruben's face became blank and I could no longer tell what he was thinking. I gave him a slight nudge to wake him from his apparent daydream.

"Come on, father will want to get started soon."