𝟎𝟎 | 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

IRENA'S POV
p r o l o g u e

december 2008

𓆩♡𓆪

"Honey, what are you drawing?"

My mother's wide smile could bright up an entire room and beam it with luminosity. You could still hear her thick serbian accent while speaking english, being a first generation immigrant. And just like always, she kneeled next to me to lower to my height, caressing my hair as she looked down at my clumsily drawn sketch.

"I'm drawing us! Look, aren't we beautiful?" I giggled, full of confidence in my drawing skills. In truth, I was as good as any 8 year old could possibly be at drawing. However, she never failed to compliment my art skills each time, possibly the reason why grew to love art and painting. "It's adorable, my love. Keep that up and you might become a famous artist one day!"

Her long, silky, dark brown waves that draped over her shoulders started ticking my face as soon as she moved her lips to my cheek. A giggle swept past my lips everytime she'd kiss my cheek.

All of my life, it's always been my mom and I: I never had a father, he left her as soon as he found out she was pregnant. I never knew his name, age, looks. Before I had turned five and went to kindergarten for the first time and my mom had to give me "the talk", I didn't even know fathers existed. He was completely out of my life.

While I had decided to do one more drawing, I can't vividly recall it, mom returned to the kitchen to make us dinner. Only street lights made the outside visible, as a cold winter night ruled the streets. The TV played some cartoon in the background that I was meant to follow along, however, my drawing clearly consumed all of my attention. All was calm, all was bright.

Until it wasn't.

Violent knocks followed. Multiple per second, like there was more than one person. They were knocks, but the type that could break down doors. One voice in particular yelled "Open up"every few seconds, followed by cussing I didn't understand at the time. My mother quickly ran out of the kitchen, grabbing my hand without much words to support her actions. "Irena, let's go upstairs."

At that time, I couldn't exactly understand what was going on, but I felt the cold of my mother's hand as it gripped mine. Her voice shook like shards of glass, but she looked as normal as always. Still, I sensed danger.

She ushered me to my room, sitting me down at the hem of my bed and lowering at my height yet again, only this time I could see her face clearly: it was pale, drained of life, but with a soft smile on her face. The one she'd always give me.

"Listen to me sweetheart: please stay here, and do not come out until mama comes back upstairs for you, okay? A few guests came by unannounced and mama needs to help them out. Just stay calm, and remember that I'll always love you, moj anđele. You're my best girl."

"Okay mama." I responded with a thin, quiet tone. Deep down, I knew I'd never see her again after this.

As the doors locked behind me, all I could do was hold my favorite teddy bear tight. At first, there was a lot of noise. Multiple adult men were yelling at my mom in muffled sounds I couldn't make out. The voices kept getting louder and louder, and the more time passed, the closer I held my teddy to my chest. Eventually, there was a gunshot. Then another, and another. The last sound I heard were screams of agony and terror. Until, there wasn't any remaining sound. The house became deadly silent and my door remained locked for the next 30 minutes. Hearing my mom wasn't coming back, salty tears started falling down my face in waterfalls and stinging my eyes.

Finally, I got the worst confirmation of all. The police quickly let me out of my room and got me out of my house into the police station. I never saw that house again.

Soon enough, I was lucky to be placed in a good foster family that loves me and took care of me. I even started calling them my mom and dad after some time, and was blessed with everything I have ever wanted. When I was 18, I eventually found out the truth about my mother's death from them, and how the mafia killed her.

That was 15 years ago. Today, I'm one step closer to taking my revenge.

— thank you so much for reading! this was just an introduction that provides further context, so i hope you enjoy the actual story that follows from the next chapter! please also vote and comment! much love, athena <3