The Secret of the Old Morgue

Horseshoe Bay's most infamous Sea Queen, wore her crown for only one night. People say she still haunts our town. A town I never thought I'd be stuck in until life dropped a real mystery into my life.

Nancy thought she heard something while holding the dress in her hands. She swiftly turned her head but saw nothing there. 

What's the dress of a girl who was murdered 20 years ago doing in my attic?

Nancy heard a car door slamming shut outside and quickly closed the dress inside the trunk. She glared at her father as he tried to talk to her. "Are you.....doing okay?" He asked her. Nancy pondered for a few moments before answering 

"Yeah, i'm fine." She looked up at him and he leaned down on the counter. "Nancy, I am so sorry for keeping things to myself. I need you to know, nothing ever happened between Karen and me when your mom was still alive. But then she was here and..........." 

Nancy stopped listening after a while, lost in her thoughts.

I thought I knew my dad. But if he could lie about Karen, he could lie about anything. Including what really happened to Lucy Sable.

......and that's when things started to change between us. We wanted to tell you. We just didn't know how." He concluded and then asked "Is there anything you want to ask me?" 

Yeah. Are you the reason she's known as 'Dead Lucy?'

"Nope." Nancy bluntly stated, as she raised her eyebrows. Carson nodded and the both sat there in silence. Whereas at Ryan Hudson's house, he and George were making out on his bed when 'his phone began to vibrate. They stopped and Ryan answered the phone 

"Hello?.....What do you mean they want to do an autopsy?" He removed George from on top of him and left the room. She sat up and felt different. She looked at Tiffany's photo and walked out with her coat. Ryan looked back to check on George but she had already left.

The next morning, Nancy entered the police station and saw a board. It had all the information about the case on it. The prime suspects were her, Nick, George, Bess and You. The witnesses were Ace, Ryan and Ryan's group.

Nancy went to enter the station but was stopped by a hand. It was the officer. "Nancy Drew, twice in two days. Tell me you're here to confess." Nancy ignored his confrontation and requested "May I please see the cold case file on Lucy Sable." 

He remarked "Ooh, returning to your favorite pastime of interfering in my work. Why the sudden interest in Lucy 20 years after the fact?" Nancy sneaked a peek at Karen who was busy with a phone call. Nancy smiled and shrugged "Just a concerned citizen." She lied.

"Chief."  a voice interrupted from behind. "That was Judge Fontaine. He signed the injunction. Our coroner can't touch the body. Court's allowing Ryan Hudson to move Tiffany to the district morgue in New Hampshire. He says he wants the autopsy handled  by a more qualified expert.

They're picking the body up at 8:00 pm. Nancy commented with a smirk "They're railroading your investigation aren't they?" The chief turned to Nancy and asserted "This is why suspects don't get to hang around in the police station." 

Looks like Lucy will have to wait. Which means the only thing I have to worry about is the other murder that needs to be solved, the one where i'm a suspect.

Nancy walked out of the police station.

The only way to clear my name is to find the killer, who could be closer than I'd like to think. Ace puts up the slacker front, but he's smarter than he seems. 

Ace finished washing a huge bowl and walked up to Bess who was powdering her face, holding a tiny mirror. "I got a big mirror." He showed her the gleaming dish. She just walked away.