Vanquish

Jiang Cheng and Nie Huaisang to stare at Xiao Zhan who was sitting on the bedroll cross-legged, incredulously. Both were still processing what they just heard.

"What the fuck?!" Jiang Cheng exclaimed, clearly very unhappy with Xiao Zhan, "Are you fucking insane?"

Nie Huaisang nodded in agreement, "Yes, yes. That's very eloquent of you, Jiang Cheng. Quite the eloquence."

"Is yelling one of your innate skill, Jiang Cheng?" Xiao Zhan said, covering his ears. "Because I think my eardrums are getting damaged over time from your screaming."

Jiang Cheng glared angrily at Xiao Zhan, "You're telling us to work with Jin Zixuan? You want to put him in my team?"

"Well..." Xiao Zhan paused for dramatic effect. "Yeah."

Jiang Cheng shot daggers at him, "You're fucking kidding me."

"Oh, I'm sorry, am I?" Xiao Zhan raised his eyebrows.

"Wei Wuxian! Stop joking around!" Jiang Cheng shouted at him again.

Xiao Zhan responded simply, "You all trained together for countless of times before. Just think of it like a refresher course!"

"But this isn't a refresher course." Jiang Cheng replied exasperatedly. "This is the life-or-death situation!"

"You didn't train for months and months under us for nothing, Jiang Cheng." Xiao Zhan reminded him. "Besides, you have no right to refuse."

"Ahhhh! Damn you, you lunatic!" Jiang Cheng yelled as he stomped his feet in frustration. "Why should we work with the peacock?"

Lan Wangji, who hadn't spoken a single word during all the commotion, suddenly piped in, "Jiang Wanyin, I suggest you to stop yelling. Wei Ying has made the best decision in the case."

Jiang Cheng snapped his eyes towards him, "Don't you mean, 'the worst decisions'?"

"I need you two to keep an eye on him." Xiao Zhan finally explained with serious expression. He paused, "No, more accurately, I need you two to keep an eye on him as a leverage against his father."

Jiang Cheng and Nie Huaisang exchanged confused glances. '"Huh? What do you mean?"

"I don't trust the old man at all." Xiao Zhan said bluntly. He added, "And neither should anyone else."

Jiang Cheng raised a brow, "Is that your gut instinct?"

"It's not just an instinct. It's a fact. He cannot be trusted. So, just do as I say." Xiao Zhan replied with a stern tone before he turned to Lan Wangji with soft eyes, "Lan Zhan, help me up."

Lan Wangji stood up from his side wordlessly and held out a hand for Xiao Zhan, pulling him up gently.

Jiang Cheng couldn't help but roll his eyes at the sight of Lan Wangji assisting Xiao Zhan. "Can't you get up on your own?" he grumbled, his voice dripping with annoyance.

Xiao Zhan's lips curled into a smile, a hint of playfulness dancing in his eyes. "Of course, I can," he replied with full intention to annoy Jiang Cheng. It was refreshing to bicker with him sometimes. He winked. "But where's the fun in that when I have such a gallant partner by my side?"

Jiang Cheng's frustration melted into a scowl. He shot a glare at his martial brother who smirked triumphantly in response. The couple was just back to the the base late last night and already got into his nerves as soon as the sun rises. However, knowing the pair had just gone through several intense battles the past days, he decided to let it go begrudgingly.

"Didi, you are getting more and more shameless." Nie Huaisang remarked, but there is only amusement in his voice.

"I think I deserve to be shameless. Thank you," Xiao Zhan grinned at him, his eyes sparkling mischievously. "Now, shall we pay a visit to our hostage?" He said, his voice turning serious as he started walking out, his steps purposeful and determined. He led the way towards the tent that was cast with a confinement array, the place where Wen Chao was being held captive.