Goodbye Darling

Bulma sat at her workstation while Mr. Fantastic worked elsewhere in Capsule Corp, both trying to develop a cure. It would have much easier with her father Dr. Briefs involved, but her father and mother Panchy were no longer among the living. Reed had informed her that Johnny and Sue Storm were trying to assist those in the world who hadn't been infected while Ben Grimm watched over the sedated Videl. Even though Videl was responsible for eating Pan and Hercule, it felt a bit odd that The Thing was staring that intensely at her.

With her mind numb, Bulma looked over to the severed heads of Tien, Chiaotzu, and Daredevil that the Punisher had placed on the table. She hoped that Frank would have the good sense to come back for a blood sample. The rest of the ingredients were almost ready, still in the process of getting mixed into the right concoction. She made sure he notified Jarvis to have the others retrieve the anti-hero, but she may need Doctor Strange if it came down to it.

A while ago, Vegeta had returned with Violet. She knew it in her heart, but they had confirmed that Launch/Pistole, Goten, Raditz/Riot, and Magneto where all killed by the infected Electro and had managed waste himself in the process.

Gamma 1 and Majin Buu had reported what they heard from Black Cat, that her husband Andriod 17 had secured the island he worked at. Once they knew who was immune or not in the next couple of days, they along with Deadpool and Piccolo would take as many survivors as they could to the island until the virus had been completely dealt with.

Lastly, Bulma was saddened to hear that Master Roshi, Nappa, and quite possibly Colossus had gotten infected. Krillin, Andriod 18, and Wolverine had to put the elder Saiyan and the Turtle Hermit down after they had eaten Marron and Turtle. Just like what had to be done with Trunks. Wolverine was still tracking Colossus down, hoping he hadn't harmed Xavier and any of the other X-Men.

"Come on Chichi, calm down." Oolong told the widow of Yamcha as he and Puar looked for every way to take her mind off the crisis.

"Don't worry Chichi. Bulma and the others are working on the space pod now. We will get Porunga to bring back Yamcha and the others." Puar said as she patted Chichi on the back to reassure her.

"Why did that delinquent Venom kill him?" Chichi said as her whole body vibrated.

"Hello? Goku was infected and Venom was a victim too. Vegeta had to stop him from eating anyone else." Oolong reminded.

"No....we wanted to eat the wizard ourselves!" Chichi roared as he tackled Oolong.

"What the-?" Oolong said as he immediately shape-shifted to avoid her assault.

"Chichi got infected!" Puar cried with horror.

"We want our meal! Give me some flesh!" Chichi snarled.

"Jarvis." Bulma said with a monotone voice, as if her mind was somewhere else entirely despite the infected Chichi running amok behind her.

"Yes of course Bulma dear." Jarvis said as a laser turent lowered itself from the ceiling and aimed at Chichi. With a single precise ki blast, the beam pierced through her forehead. Chichi, the princess of Fire Mountain and daughter of the great Ox King, collapsed on her back dead, shot down as if she was a rabid dog.

"What happened?!" Mr. Fantastic asked as he came storming in with Vegeta and Hawkeye, ready for the worse. Their faces dropped once they saw Chichi's body on the floor, figuring out what had happened.

"Chichi no!" Puar cried as she hugged her deceased body, the last living link to Yamcha now gone.

"What took you so long? I was nearly cannibal chow!" Oolong barked at the heroes.

"I'm sorry, but we just received a call from Wraith. Tights and Turles are gone." Reed said as he looked towards Bulma, looking apologetic. To his surprise, Bulma gave a slight nod and continued her work, not really processing the information.

"Bulma....what's wrong?" Vegeta asked, knowing something was up.

"Reed, can you please take the others and leave. I need to talk something over with my husband." Bulma requested to the stunned superhero.

"Su-Sure. Clint, please patrol the grounds. Oolong and Puar, please help me remove this poor woman and put her somewhere more respectable." Reed said.

"If you say so." Oolong said as they did just that. After a few minutes, it was just Bulma and Vegeta in the room with a sleeping Bulla in her cradle.

"What's wrong woman?" Vegeta asked, without any impatience. He knew something was wrong with Bulma's demeanor.

"Jarvis, execute Protocol 72. It's time." Bulma ordered.

"Yes of course Bulma darling. It was a pleasure serving you." Jarvis chirped from the loud speaker.

"Protocol 72?! What are babbling on all about!?" Asked a frustrated Vegeta, still going easy on his wife due to her many losses in her family.

"It sets all administrative access for the Rescue suit and Capsule Corp to you Vegeta, and Bulla when she becomes legal age. I no longer have said access." Bulma said, holding back any emotions.

"What for!? I never needed to rely on such gadgets!" Vegeta told.

"I think you know why." Bulma said as Vegeta looked down at her hand, noticing that it was twitching. His eyes widened, realizing what was going on.

"Bulma...." Vegeta said, fighting back the tears.

"I want to die while my mind still belongs to me." Bulma said as she gestured to the vials. "The cure will be done in an hour. Kami, Zeno, and every other deity out there knows I don't have that much time. After that, have Stephen Strange track down the Punisher and retrieve a blood sample. With Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch busy tending to other matters, Doctor Strange is our best bet to getting to him in time. The cure is incomplete without Frank's blood sample. I have already made the preparations for the space pod to go to Namek. Have a team get ready to depart in the next two hours."

"Bulma." Vegeta tried to say, but Bulma took his remaining arm in hers, holding it.

"It's okay Vegeta. This is what I want. Please do it...before I am no longer myself." Bulma said as she let go of his arm and took two steps backwards.

With a tear sliding down his cheek, Vegeta lifted his one arm and began to charge an ki blast, ready to fulfill Bulma's request.

"I....love you." Vegeta bit back.

"I love you too Vegeta. Goodbye darling." Bulma said with a warm smile. The last thing she saw was her husband's face before his warm light overtook her.

45 seconds later....

Quickly stuffing his picture of his wife Mockingbird in his pocket, Hawkeye kicked down the door to Bulma's lab and drew his bow, ready to fire in case Vegeta had succumbed to the Survivor-118 virus. As he had expected, Vegeta had just killed Bulma, but after closer expection, Clint could see that there were tears streaming down the prince's neck. However,the prince refused to sniffle to hide any remaining weakness in front of the archer. In that instant, he knew Vegeta had to put his wife down just as he had done with his best friend.

"This vial will be done within an hour. When it's finished, run to Strange and make sure he gets a blood sample from Castle. The world will have his cure when we go to space. Also, retrieve Majin Buu for someone to watch over us in case you or I get infect. I am sure that fat blob will be happy to absorb more than that Miles kid into his gut." Vegeta ordered, not really in the mood to bark.

"Right." Hawkeye said with a nod as he closed the door on Vegeta, ready to deliver the news to Reed. It was then that Vegeta walked over to Bulla's bed, picked her up, and cradled his baby girl in his arms. Long ago, Frieza had killed his father King Vegeta and brought the Saiyan race to near extinction. It took 40 years to regain a few numbers, but now it had dwindled back down to two (not including Broly and Cell) for reasons far more complex than a tyrant fearing the legend. Bulla was his entire life now, and he would do anything to ensure she never perished, no matter the cost.