2

A blood curdling scream woke me instantly.

I sprang up at my bed and checked the time. It was nine in the morning and I had completely forgotten about the news that I'd watched a few hours back.

Getting up, I peeked out of the window through the room. Nothing felt unusual for a while, until the same scream rang through my ears, bringing my focus at its vocalizer.

A skeletal humanoid being, rotting flesh hanging from its spoilt body, chewed its way through the guts of an old woman which I recognized to be Mrs. Petunia, a Karen neighbor who lay on the ground screaming in agony.

I could not watch that happening. Quickly I drew the curtains. Panting heavily, I recollected the news. So it was all true! What I'd watched and heard in the live telecast was all real and not made up!

My bewilderment was broken by the sudden ringing of my phone, which I quickly silenced since I did not want to attract any unwanted attention. Looking at the caller, I realized it was mom's.

Picking up the call, she spoke, "Nico, are you alright? Do you know what's happening?"

"As fine as I can be after watching Mrs. Petunia being eaten right in front of my eyes," I mumbled in fear.

"Oh dear, that's insane!" She exclaimed. "Where are you right now?"

"I'm in my room. Just woke up."

"Alright Nico," she said with a sigh of relief, "make sure that everything is locked in the house and all the curtains are drawn. I'm driving back home with granny, can't be leaving her here alone."

"O-okay mom, " I said shakily.

"Take care love. Don't worry, I will be-AAARGH!"

A sudden screeching sound echoed through the phone accompanied by something crashing with a huge force. Within a few seconds, everything went quiet.

"Mom? MOM!" I yelled to no avail. Mom did not utter a reply but I decided not to hang up the call. My estimate was that she'd had an accident and in such a situation, some stranger must pick the call in a while and speak of the incident.

And turns out, I was proven right! Someone did pick the call up within a few seconds of my continous yelling. But this 'someone' was unfortunately not a human.

"GGRRR," A strange growl emanated from the other end. Was it a dog that seemed to growl?

"H-hello?" I asked in confusion.

The line went dead. I stared horrifically at the mobile screen, unable to comprehend the situation.

Should I contact my friends? Or should I be calling the cops? I chose the former.

Upon ringing three of my besties and not receiving any response, I gave up on the idea. Finally, I dialled nine-one-one.

"Hello, this is nine-one-one. What's your emergency?" the receiver said.

"My-my mom, I think she's had an accident."

"Do you know where the accident has occured?"

"I dunno!" I replied, tears streaming down my cheeks. "She was returning home with granny and all of a sudden I heard a crash through the call."

"Alright, please calm down," the woman tried to console me. "Did anyone else pick up the call after the accident?"

"Ye-yes, someone did. But all I heard was growling from the other end."

"Growling?" She wondered. "Are you certain?"

"Yes, I AM!" I yelled, getting panicked.

"We are sorry kid, but we cannot help you with this incident. We suggest that you stay put at your home while we send someone to help you to safety."