Chapter 2 - Tears

"Okay, Soza...My name is Nina and my friend here is Fumiru," Nina responded.

Soza nodded and looked back at Shoko. Shoko's eyes fluttered open.

"How'd you do that?"

"I know when she's about to wake up."

Shoko's eyes blurred and cleared again. They were also one black and one white, just like Soza's.

"W-Where-?"

Soza patted her head to reassure her.

"Don't worry, we're safe, Fumiru and Nina helped us. If not, I will protect you." Soza said, pointing to the girls. Shoko looks at them.

"Are you sure?" Shoko said, concerned.

Soza just smiled and nodded. Shoko relaxed and returned the soft smile.

"So you guys want breakfast?" Fumiru asked, rubbing her stomach.

"O-Oh, I don't really eat," Shoko said softly.

"Just have some food, Shoko."

Soza gently pulled her out of the white bed, keeping her injuries in mind, and followed Fumiru and Nina down the hall to the kitchen. The living room was spacious with clean white walls and organized furniture, the kitchen looked squeaky clean with all the counters clear. The yellow couch was positioned against the wall facing a normal-sized TV.

"We usually clean a lot," Nina said as she noticed Shoko looking around.

"Also- shouldn't you kids be in school?" Fumiru asked.

"We-we didn't really go to school," Shoko replied. "But we're 18." The girls were shocked, as they were quite small, but they ignored it and started to make breakfast. Soza remained quiet.

They're hiding something, Nina thought.

Fimiru thought the same but didn't say anything and kept making bacon and scrambled eggs. Once the food was ready, she put it in front of the two of them. The savory aroma of sizzling bacon filled the air. Shoko grabbed a plate and put a single piece of bacon on it. Soza watched Shoko and began tasting it and was surprised by the nice crunch of the bacon.

"What is this?" Soza asked.

"Uh-It's bacon and scrambled eggs. Have you not tried it before?" Fumiru asked, slightly suspicious.

"No...we-we don't eat much food," Shoko said, sweating. Nina raised an eyebrow.

"What's up with you guys?" Fumiru asked.

"What do you mean?" Shoko said. Soza reached his hand over to touch Shoko's, her head turning to him. Soza nodded, the two girls confused. Shoko thought for a moment, and then nodded.

"S-So...the reason why we had so many injuries is because..we're.." Shoko started, fiddling with her hands with her eyes swelling up with heavy tears.

"Experiments." Soza finished as his face went dark.

The girls look at Shoko and then Soza, still confused.

"What-What do you mean?" Fumiru asked.

Soza repeated, "We're experiments." Shoko looked down and tears rolled on and off her face, dropping on her lap. She quickly got up and left the table and Soza followed.

"Sorry, just wait a moment."

They walked down the hall, and the slam of the door echoed, and then opened and shut softly.

"Experiments..?" Nina started.

"Experiments." Fumiru said more grounded.

They thought for a moment, and heard something crash loudly in the bedroom the two were in.