Chapter 5 - Shopping

After taking the elevator down 8 floors, Soza started getting nervous. The memories flashed before him until- Ding! The elevator's doors opened and Soza quickly ran outside.

The door opened and sunlight poured onto Soza. It was bright out, afternoon, the streets crowded with cars and people crossing the street. Chatting and zooming rang in Soza's ears. Shoko took Soza's hand to calm him. The rings stopped and the light dimmed.

"Where do we go?" Shoko asked, smiling and looking around.

"Hah! Get in losers! We're going shopping!" Fumiru yelled as she jumped into a black slim car.

Nina gestured to come inside as she climbed into the passenger seat. Soza and Shoko followed inside, the car was clean and smooth. The seats were black leather, Fumiru sat in the right while Shoko climbed in the middle and Soza sat on the left.

"Soza, are you excited?" Shoko asked quietly.

"No." Soza grumbled.

"How come?" Shoko said, frowning.

"Nothing," Soza said sadly, looking out the window.

He remembered when his family went to the mall, his sister would complain about how many clothes she could get. Soza's father would get toys all the time for him until..that happened.

"Soza?" Shoko asked.

Soza snapped out of it.

"What?"

"You were hyperventilating," Shoko asked with a worried look while putting a hand to his cheek.

Nina and Fumiru stared at him with the same worried look. Soza's hands sweated.

"I'm fine." He cleared his throat. "Is this your car?"

"No, it's called an Uber. Kinda like...an advanced taxi." Nina explained.

Nina and Fumiru wore matching white handbags that dangled and glistened in the sunlight that entered from the car window.

Shoko pointed to the bags. "Whereʻd you get those from?"

"The mall! You two should get matching ones too!" Fumiru said, smiling in her seat. Shoko turned to Soza, happily smiling, and Soza nodded softly.

After a while, the car stopped and the doors opened. The two girls got out of the car, and Shoko and Soza followed after them. They were in front of a big building, with multiple shops lining the walls. Fumiru and Nina started walking towards a small shop, filled with brightly colored clothing.

"Is there anything white? It's my favorite color. Oh, also is there any black for Soza?" Shoko asked the girls.

"Oh, yeah there's a couple stores like that. Hot Topic?" Nina suggested.

"Where is that?"

"Upstairs."

"Okay! Let's go, Soza." Shoko said while taking Sozaʻs hand.

Soza rolled his eyes.

"This is not my kind of thi-Wooaaah," Soza said, interrupted by Shoko pulling on his arm.

Shoko pulled Soza, running toward Hot Topic past Fumiru and Nina. The sudden stop made Soza slam his head into the motion detector.

"Ow..." Soza murmured as he rubbed his head.

"Sorry!" Shoko said softly.

Soza stayed silent, still rubbing his head. Shoko reached up to gently touch his head.ʻ

"Iʻm sorry." Shoko repeated.

"I'm okay," Soza said as he pulled away, walking toward the clothes section. Shoko sighed and a sad look appeared on her face, only for a second, and it quickly turned back into a smile. She followed after Soza.