Chapter 296

The sand beneath my feet shifts again, even more violently this time.

I'm frozen in place, feeling the presence of a Demonic Creature magnitudes stronger than the one I just faced.

I had to use all my tricks and mental power to stay ahead of a creature with a level lower than my own...

Lurking less than 500 meters away from me, I sense a monster stronger than anything I've ever faced in battle before, inside or outside of this Abyss.

"This would be a good time to run..."

Without thinking twice, I grab the glossy black stone off the floor from the High Orc I just defeated and turn to leave immediately.

There's a difference between seeking out a strong opponent for training my new powers and the death wish I'd be asking for to face whatever this monster may be.

Sand flies up from my heels as I sprint back toward the direction of the abandoned town.

I'm not sure how, but I feel the glare of something watching me from afar. I can't see it, but I know it's watching...

Using Demonic Energy to increase the strength of my footsteps, I race off at full speed toward the direction of the outside world. The ground starts to shake more and more violently, and the sand beneath my feet starts to churn and move.

It gets harder to find solid ground with every step I take.

I finally make it right to the edge of the eerie town of abandoned homes and crackling flames. This lets me know for sure the border of the Abyss is less than a kilometer away, but with the heavy looming presence behind me, it feels like much further.

My manipulation skill starts to go haywire. Over a dozen enemies ranging from 10 to 50 raw units of Demonic Energy start to surround me on all sides.

They appeared from nowhere... And the presence behind me is not weakened in the slightest.

To make things even more strange, they're all coming up from underneath the sand.

It's as if they spawned in.

I stop in place and grip my dagger as the ground beneath my feet becomes so unstable it's impossible to stand. If I had my wind magic right now, I'd fly out of here in an instant, but right now, I'm a sitting duck.

An explosion of white and purple light bursts from the ground no more than 10 meters to my right. It nearly blinds me before another of the same size erupts on my left.

Then another in front, and more behind.

Monsters are popping up from the sand one by one and igniting their bodies with a bright purple glow.

It's hot. Very hot...but luckily, the heat doesn't bother me much.

Everything clicks in my head as the sand clouds start to settle, revealing over a dozen monstrous Demonic Worms covered in flames closing in toward me.

This is a completely new species of Demonic Monster. The disgusting creatures range from 2 to 5 meters long and all share the same features: rows of white teeth that rotate in their open maws.

The skin around their bodies looks slippery and wet, yet despite that, it's covered in purple flames.

One of the smallest creatures of the bunch closest to me lunges in, targeting my right leg.

Gritting my teeth, not having any room to step back, I swing my charged dagger, slicing it in two.

Both halves of the slimy flaming creature wriggle on the ground as another one of its kind squirms in to attempt to take a bite out of my left side.