||Protector||

c h a p t e r | t w o

     I saw Elyes near the gym, waiting for me. I slightly smiled and walked his way. When he was close enough to touch me, he hugged me and we walked toward the bleachers. It was the normal routine in the morning; the teachers made all students head toward the gymnasium until 8:10am and then we'd be released to head over to our classes.

      "Are you okay, Aly?" said Elyes. His voice was calm, soothing; something I loved about him. There were times that I just wanted to sleep with him talking next to my ear.

      I didn't say anything. Instead, I noticed that his dark skin seemed a little darker than it usually was and it made me curious. "Did you get a tan?" I asked, obviously ignoring his question.

      "Yes. Now can you please answer mine?"

      I sighed. I hated when he got that way. He was too much of a protector; I couldn't feel anything without his consent, it was like. But I got over it sooner or later and realized he only asked such questions because he cared about me. "I'm fine." It was the only thing I could manage to get out.

      "Oh, that's good. I thought you were depressed about something," he joked. Apparently, he knew me too well to know that saying "I'm fine" was when I was lying to him and to myself. "I'm fine" meant that I wasn't. It looked like I need a new phrase to say that I'm not okay; maybe he would buy it next time if I changed it?

      We sat on the second bleacher, below everyone from the third to the top. For a few moments, we sat in silence and watched the volleyball players practice in the middle of the gym.

      I knew that I couldn't keep my feelings bottled for so long, because Elyes didn't allow that. Well, at some point, he would make me talk. But he usually let me be, since he knew I needed space. "Ugh," I said. "It's just Paige," I broke the silence.

      "You make it sound like you're annoyed." He didn't stare at me. His eyes were fixated on the players.

      "Well . . . I am."

      "I know you are, Aly. I mean, I'm sick of her too and I'm not being bullied by her. But you actually sound as if you've gotten over her picking on you. Have you?"

      "No . . ." I said, shaking my head. "I don't think I ever will . . ." I whispered, crossing my arms. "And what made you think I got over her?"

      He shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, you sound a bit more mature."

      I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

      He put his hand on mine that was on my thigh, and his eyes turned away to meet mine. "We'll get through it together, Aly." He smiled and then brought me closer to his arms and kissed my forehead. But then pushed me back away because of the teachers that were staring at us who looked like they were about to tell him to get off of me.

      No P.D.A on property.

      "Look what the cat dragged in," began Paige as she walked in the gym and onto the bleachers below us. "Alysha right next to Elyes; someone who she doesn't deserve—"

      "Stop it, Paige," demanded Elyes, letting go of my hand.

      "Or what? You push her fat body on me?"

      "I said stop it, you bitch." My eyes had widened when he said the last two words. He was never harsh, as far as I had been with him. He had gotten angry from time to time, but swearing was something he rarely did.

      "Awe look, Elyes is the new bad boy, huh? Thinking he's a protector. What do you see in her anyway? You deserve better; someone like me—"

      "You think you're better than everyone else, don't you?"

      "Yes." She smiled proudly.

      "I'm sorry to burst your bubbles, sweetheart, but you don't deserve anyone. No one loves you. So why don't you do yourself a favor, Paige, and stop picking on people because of your insecurities."

      She froze. Elyes had never stood up to her like that before; he usually was the one to just let it go and ignore the issue. But seeing that side of him? It was something I loved. He wasn't like me and sometimes, I wondered why he ever stayed with me all those years.

      She licked her lips and proceeded to talk as if what he said didn't break her down. "People do love me, Elyes. I am beautiful, unlike her."

      "Why is beauty the problem? What is it with you and being beautiful? Just because Alysha is overweight doesn't make her ugly—if you actually knew her, you'd see that she's beautiful. You'd probably envy her. People only like you for your boobs and vagina. Otherwise, every guy that knows you hates you because you're a bitch, selfish and self-centered. Wake up from that horrid fantasy you have; it ain't gonna happen. You're not a princess. You're not better than anyone in this school. In fact, I feel really bad for you to think that you're the greatest person ever when you're not. You may look attractive on the outside, but on the inside, you're the most ugliest person I have ever met."

      The bell rang and Paige was left speechless. When her row was ready to leave, she got up but kept looking toward Elyes as if she was still talking to him.

      Our row was ready to go. Elyes held my hand as he lead me out to the main hallway. He held my hand tight. I never wanted to let his hand go.