Chapter 4

Rebecca's POV

FREEN: Steak. I'll be taking you out for steak. Maybe even lobster too. You like red meat and shellfish?

I grin when I see the random text from Freen. Yesterday I was awkward, but then she called and made me forget how unversed I am with all this, because she didn't seem to mind. If anything, she seemed more intrigued.

ME: Yes and yes. I like wine too. Just FYI.

FREEN: Wine, got it. What are you doing today? Any chances you'll be in town for more coffee? Or muffin, rather?

I finish concealing the final camera over the entry of the doorway. Getting inside wasn't easy, considering Matthew or his wife locks the door immediately when they get home or leave. But I finally managed to slip in and leave a window unlocked for later.

No security system. There's only one of my targets planned who has security system. That'll be on James (Jamieson Cole) to handle. James is a true best friend. How many people do you walk up to, tell them you want revenge, tell them your plan, and then they start helping you keep from getting caught??

I grab my phone and text Freen back, finding it oddly calming to have a normal conversation while plotting.

Maybe I really am psychotic.

ME: Not today.I'm on a trade review. I won't be back in until tomorrow

That's not entirely lie, I did do a trade review..... It just happened to be in the same town.

Matthew's wife is out of town on a conference for work, which gives me plenty of time to check out his home.

The flooring is new, just like the rest of the home. No creaks is a damn good thing. My phone buzzes in my pocket as I make my way through the hallways, checking for anything and everything that might pose a problem.

FREEN: Tomorrow I'll be a few towns over. Juggling a few cases right now. People just can't seem to stop killing other people.

Gotta love irony.

We're so terribly mismatched that its not even funny.

If she'd seen the evil I've seen, she'd understand why some people deserves to die.

ME: Have you ever had to kill someone?

Pretty sure thats not the best question to ask a person you've only had one coffee house date with--if you can call that a date.

FREEN: Many times. Not all cases end with the perp in jail, unfortunately.

Well, she's killed numerous people the same way with the same methodology and reasoning...so technically she's a serial killer too. It's logically truthful. Other than wearing a badge to find it legally justifiable, we're the same. Well, I torture my victims first, but that's just nitpicking at facts.

FREEN: Does that bother you?

I'm laughing before I can stop myself, and I groan while shaking my head, and happy that theres no one here to hear me. Morbid humor is probably not going to get me far in this relationship.

ME: Not at all. I'm sure you had to do it, or you wouldn't have done it at all.

Sometimes people don't find justice. Sometimes they have to take it.

"Want to play, Patricia? You know you do." Joe's breath feels like acid against my forehead, and I manage to slam a knee up, connecting with his side.

He curses and turns his head.

"Hold her down!" he yells at Matthew. "Or I'll make sure she nails you a few times too."

A scream pierces the night, but its not mine. I refuse to let them hear me scream.

"You scream pretty," I hear Zayn saying, laughing from somewhere behind us, but can't see him or what he's doing.

And I don't want to see.

I don't even want to see what they're doing to me.

The memories used to leave me curled in a ball and crying for hours. Now they fuel me. Feed my mission. Drive me forward.

Make me a little murderous.

Shaking my head, I move through the house quicker, hiding the last camera in the stuffed bead on Matthew's bed. Apparently his wife likes stuffed animals. Or atlas I hope its his wife who likes stuffed animals. I'd hate to know I've trembled in fear over a guy who carries around a stuffed bear.

As I enter the last bedroom, I notice its soundproofed with large amount of studio padding meant for musicians. This will be the perfect room, since he doesn't have a basement. No windows are in here.

No cameras will be added in this room.

There are few guitars lined up, all of them nice and shiny.

His whole life is nice and shiny. Just like all of them.

I can't wait to paint it red.

•••••
A/N: Hi! Just a short update kind of lazy to type, might be a boring chapter 😭 btw this chapter is dedicated to @yours_unknown thank you for all the name ideas! And if anyone of you can comment for more name ideas please please do so! Thank you <3