Chapter 9

Freen's POV

"So your girl is like totally loaded" Zoe says, plopping down beside me.

"You're looking into her financials?" I ask incredulously. "That's an invasion of privacy!!"

"Meh, I just peeked. She's not a suspect or anything, so I'm not breaking any rules."

"Just the law" I state dryly.

She grins. "I was recruited for my mad skills with computers and shutting down websites that shouldn't be open. I was placed up here for my forensics expertise. Never once was I wanted for my pristine moral compass. And it was just a little peek. Honestly. But seriously, she's like majorly rich. What's her house like?"

Groaning, I shake my head. Zoe definitely isn't FBI because she's a saint with a badge. She's FBI because it was prison or work with us.

"Don't tell anyone else you did this," I mumble, finishing up the last of the case file that is not ready for the DA.

"Duh," she says, smirking. "So whats her house like?? I really want to know."

"Nothing flashy. It's a two story white home that looks nice enough. She hasn't lived there long, so there's no art or anything on the walls. Floors are hardwood throughout, but no marble statues or gold banisters, if thats what you're asking. And her driveway looks like something out of Sleep Hollow that doesn't at all match the sweet house at the end."

She frowns like she's disappointed "I wanted mansions and swans in lake. Damn. Why have all that money if you don't have a nice home?"

"Some people are humble, Zoe. I wouldn't have even known she was rich."

Talking about Rebecca gets me thinking about her again after I've just stopped. I'm worried I'm demonstrating obsessive behaviors. Which I don't know if I like or not.

She hasn't answered my calls all day, and my texts haven't been responded either. So I'm surprised when I finally get an answer.

REBECCA: SORRYYYY!!! My work got in the way this time. Been crazy busy and only had my business phone with me. Just got back in town few minutes ago.

I didn't know she had a business phone or that she went on a business meeting. But I'm relieved to know I haven't been blown off.

"Is that her?" Zoe asks, reminding me she's still lurking.

"Go away, Zoe. She doesn't have swans in lake."

She mutters something about a waste before sulking and walking off.

I start to text her, but decide I'd rather hear her voice instead, so I call as I head out of my car.

"Hey!" she answers, sounding a little out of breath. "Again, I'm sorry. I was really busy earlier, and like I said, I didn't have my phone, and--"

"Don't apologize. Just wondering when I can see you again. I'm back home. A case is closed, so I'll have a couple of days off as a reward. Why do you sound out of breath?"

"I just finished a necessary workout. And I happen to have exactly two days off as well. My business partner is reworking some things so that we can squeeze in a little extra business this month."

She never talks about her business, and now Zoe has put it into my mind. If she's so wealthy, why does she do so much legwork herself? Why not hire people?

"So we have two days with each other?" I muse, putting a few of my unsolved files in my bag.

"Yes. And I still have your boxers. in fact, as soon as I finish showering, I'm going to put them on."