Chapter 13

"He's not going to die." said Will.
They were sitting on benches in the army base canteen. They had soup and bread with a cup of water on a tray. It was the first proper meal any of them had had in weeks, but neither Brian, Will or Nikki had much of an appetite. 
They huddled together so no eavesdroppers could hear them. Everyone except for staff was wearing the same overalls, like uniforms. The canteen was abuzz with gossip and laughter; it was hard for anyone to think straight let alone listen to what they were trying to say. 
"Of course he's not going to die," said Brian. "I won't let him."
"I don't like the look of those soldiers," whispered Nikki. "What are they doing here?"
Soldiers in black armour and helmets patrolled the canteen, machine guns at their sides, tinted visors covering their faces. They had a stony look about them as though one step out of line and they'd shoot you on the spot. 
"Probably just a security precaution, in case someone decides to create merry," thought Will. 
"Yes, but in a public canteen? Really?"
"Well it doesn't matter." said Brian. "Soldiers or no soldiers, we are not staying here."
"But Dad, the base is secured up to the eyeballs," Will pointed out. "There's an electrified fence around the outside, watch towers keeping an eye out for suspicious activity, guards patrolling restricted sections. I don't think we could just walk any time we wanted." 
"I'll think of something. But before we leave, I have to find more about this so-called Liberation Army. I refuse to believe they just popped out of nowhere the whole time we were on the streets."
"Dad I don't think you'll get very far. If this base is as secure as I believe, then they're not just going to leave information like that lying around are they?"
"And Brian," said Nikki, "even if we did leave where would we go? This is probably the only sheltered place for hundreds of miles. We'd be leaving one peril, only to expose ourselves to an even greater one."
At that moment, a commotion occurred at one of the tables. Two men were fighting over a hunk of bread, accusing each other of stealing it. 
In two strides, the soldiers marched over. Bolts of electricity shot from their weapons, subduing the men.
In that split second, Brian realised the soldiers were carrying tasers, not guns. He ducked over the table, taking Will and Nikki with him. 
Peeking through the bench gaps, Brian watched two soldiers drag the senseless men by the ankles out the canteen. The other diners watched in silence, before normal conversation broke out again. 
Will saw his father's face. "Don't even think about it."
Brian ignored him. "I have to find out what's going on, where they're taking them."
"Dad, please, I'm begging you. Look, what if they see you? What if you don't come back?"
Brian cupped his son's face. "I will come back. I promise. Stay here. Look after Nikki."
"Dad, no..."
But Brian was crawling on his hands and knees, slipping outside before the doors swung shut behind him. 
He kept a careful distance between himself and the soldiers, watching as the soldiers dragged their loads like sacks of rubbish towards a building he had not been in yet. 
This was the most secure building. After they visited Joey, General Ripley had sternly warned neither Brian, Will or Nikki could gain access without authorisation. 
"We are conducting extremely important experiments in there," the general had said. "You may go about other parts of the campus, but the consequences will be severe if you try and breach that particular section."
Brian watched the soldiers approach the front entrance. There was nothing unique about the building itself; it was made of stone slabs with bars on the windows, like a prison or fortress. One of the soldiers placed his hand against a pad built into the wall. An eye hole in the door opened. 
"Two more for the experiment." Brian heard the soldier say. 
A group of medics in scrubs came out. "Troublemakers?"
"Yes," the soldiers confirmed. 
The subdued men were scooped up and carried inside while the soldiers walked away, chatting cheerfully as though nothing had happened.
This fuelled Brian's curiosity. Knowing there was nothing for it, he sneaked behind them. With a swift uppercut, Brian felled them, dragging them out of sight. 
He rummaged in their pockets, uncovering a small flick blade. He realised he would never gain access unless he did what he did next.
Checking the blade was sharp enough, Brian rolled back the sleeve of one of the soldiers, exposing pale flesh and veins throbbing beneath.  
Attempting the incision wasn't easy. Brian had to be careful where he cut so a major artery wouldn't be nicked. He began by slicing through the skin.
Blood immediately started pumping out, making the procedure more slippery. Brian tried to reduce the flow so he could see what he was doing. It was like cutting through meat. 
Upon reaching the tendons and bones, Brian realised they were too stiff for the knife. Looking away, Brian took the hand and, with a sickening crack, broke the wrist connecting to the arm in half. 
Brian sawed through the rest of the limb, grinding and grunting until it came away completely.
He then changed into the soldier's uniform and wiped the blood on the grass.  
Satisfied the machine gun contained enough ammunition, Brian marched up to the door pad. He held his breath as he placed the severed hand against it.
To his relief, the door swung open easily. Tossing the hand aside, he checked the coast was clear and entered the unit.