Story 2: Bartering

Dice Roll: bandanna person, pointing person, mountain, sunset, shield, beans, map, mushroom, music note

Once upon a time, Erik returned home from the market, the sun glaring lowly at his back.

His mother met him at the doorway, hands on her hips. "You've been gone all day, Erik! You were simply to sell our magic beans we've harvested from the stalk." She gestured to the giant beanstalk growing beside the house, its end far off in the clouds. "And then come home! They always sell out before noon! Where've you been?!"

"Aw, Ma, someone wanted a bean but didn't have any money," Erik explained. "So, I offered to barter with him, but all he had was magic mushrooms. We don't need any—Pa grows those in the basement. I told him to trade his mushrooms for something interesting and I'd give him a bean for it."

"Foolish boy!" the mother cursed. "We don't barter for our beans. They're worth gold."

"But, Ma," Erik protested. "Just hear me out. I sold all the beans but one, which I kept for the mushroom boy. He bartered his mushrooms for some shiny shield and brought it to me. Said the lady he got it from promised it was so shiny, it distracted all the people around you, so you'd win every battle."

"That's useless!" the mother interjected. "We're farmers, not fighters!"

Erik held up a hand. "Ma, I know. I told him no, and sent him to sell or barter the shield for something I'd trade the bean for." Erik grinned and said, "So, I waited around the market, seeing if he'd come up with anything. The magic carpet seller promised to buy my last bean if the boy didn't come up with anything." He paused and looked at his mother. "I promised the magic carpet man three beans tomorrow, since he didn't get any today."

His mother pursed her lips and scowled. "Well, I guess that'll be fine. So, the boy must have come up with something?"

Erik beamed and pulled a rolled scroll out of his pocket. "Yes! Just as the market was closing, he ran up and offered me this treasure map. He said the lady he traded the shield to promised the treasure it led to was worth a cartful of gold!"

His mother took the scroll and hit him over the head with it. "Useless! There's no guarantee there's any treasure! Or, even if there is, you'd be able to find it! Foolish boy of mine, this map probably leads to a dragon's maw!" She threw the scroll into the dirt. "Then you'll be eaten, and I'll be left alone with your addle-brained father!"

"Aw, Ma," Erik whined. He retrieved the map and carefully dusted it off. "I'll go bring back a treasure, just you wait and see."

"If you go off after some illusion, who's going to go to market tomorrow to sell the magic carpet man his beans you promised?" his mother demanded, crossing her arms. "You know he has a genie that'll curse you if he thinks you've cheated him."

"Pa wanted to sell his batch of magic mushrooms tomorrow. He can sell your beans, too."

"Fine," the mother harrumphed. She turned and disappeared into the cottage. "What is it you need for this fool's errand of yours?"

"Oh, what every lad needs when he goes wandering after treasure, I 'magine," Erik replied, stepping through the door. "Food for the journey, good shoes, a treasure map... and a few magical things to use or trade those he meets on the way."

After packing things into a satchel, Erik wished his mother and father farewell.

His father chuckled and pulled the soiled, dirty cloth from his head and tied it onto his son's, assuring the boy it was lucky and it would ensure no dragons would eat him.