Story 5: Mixed Signals

Dice roll: monkey, raven, giant, mountains, crown, camera, rice bowl, sack, skull and crossbones

One day, Kara the raven and Lara the monkey decided to go on an adventure. They packed their bags and their trusty camera and set out to explore. As they wandered, they found their way to the mountains and stared up at the peaks towering above them. One trail went up the mountains, a second trail went around the mountains, and a third trail wound its way through the mountains without climbing up and over.

Lara and Kara looked at each other, then at the trails. After grinning at each other, they both hurried to the trail that went up the mountains. Kara, of course, had the advantage that she could fly over the obstacles, but she made sure to always sit and wait while Lara climbed up the walls and cliff faces along the trail.

When they reached the upper part of the mountain, the trail split and went to caves of various sizes. The friends looked at each cave. The smallest cave had a sack sitting outside it; a skeleton of a former adventurer lay beside the sack. The middle-sized cave had a crown carved into the rock above the entrance; several spears lined the entrance, all the points facing outward at any intruders. The largest cave had a skull and crossed bones mounted on a pole beside its opening; beside the pole sat a bowl of steaming rice.

The two friends looked at each other, then proceeded to the largest cave, their stomachs grumbling.

As they neared the entrance, Kara called, "Hello! Anyone home?" Her voice echoed into the depths of the cavern.

From somewhere inside, the sounds of rocks tumbling echoed up. Heavy footsteps also echoed. As the sound got closer, the crossed bones hanging on the pole shook and swung.

Both friends quickly stepped backward as the cave's occupant emerged into the daylight. The giant stood tall, head blocking the sun, and looked down at the monkey and the raven.

"Yes. I am home. Who are you and why have you come?" the giant asked.

"I'm Kara!" Kara replied, gesturing to herself with a wing. Then she flapped her wing wide and brushed the monkey with her wingtips. "This is Lara! We set out from the valley to have an adventure! We found the caves here and decided to explore!"

"I see," the giant replied. "Did you speak to the other residents here on the mountain already?"

"No." Lara shook her head. "The spears and the skeleton didn't look inviting. I thought they wouldn't want visitors."

"But, I also have bones outside my cave," the giant pointed out, one large finger pointing to the skull and crossed bones on the pole. "These didn't make you think I didn't want visitors?"

"Well... yes," Lara admitted slowly. "But, you also had a bowl of delicious-smelling rice! That seems welcoming! It's even fresh, like you just made it!"

The giant nodded. "I did just make it. And, you're right, it is out for hungry travelers. So many people come into the mountains without enough supplies. Are you hungry?"

"Yes," Lara nodded, brown eyes fixed on the bowl of rice.

"Come inside. I have more than just rice to offer." The giant turned and walked back into the cave, expecting the friends to follow.

After sharing another glance, Kara and Lara followed, Lara running on her hands and feet to keep up with the giant's steps. Kara flapped hard and flew as fast as she could to not be left behind.

Inside the cave was an enormous room. A large couch lined one wall, a huge fire crackling in the fire ring in front of it. Over the fire was a cauldron big enough for a two-thousand monkey soup, bubbling and frothing with something that smelled savory. The giant stood beside the fire, stirring the contents of the cauldron.

"Have a seat." He gestured to the couch.

A wooden ladder ran up the side of the couch. Lara used it to climb up onto the huge cushion. Kara swooped and landed beside her.

After a moment, the giant came over, one hand cupping several giant-sized thimbles. Two of the thimbles held water; two of them held stew.

"Thank you," Lara said. As she held one big thimble in both her hands, she looked up at the giant. "Sir, if you're friendly and welcome guests, why do you have the skull outside your door?"

"To warn away thieves," the giant explained. "Travelers are welcome. Those who'd steal and harm the people here are not."

Lara nodded. "I understand. That makes sense."

"Thank you for the meal, Mr. Giant," Kara said. She waved the camera. "May we take a picture with you?"

"Of course." The giant helped the monkey and raven up onto his shoulders, then very carefully held the tiny camera between two fingers. He tapped gently on the button and the camera flashed.

"Hooray!" the friends proclaimed.

The giant carried them back out of the cave so they could continue their journey.