Story 4: Monkey Business

Dice roll: monkey, submarine, ladder, beans, cauldron, amulet, puzzle piece, flask, map

Once upon a time, there was a monkey named Erin. She ran an underwater taxi business out of her submarine, which she called, 'High Tide.' She drove all over the ocean, visiting all the underwater cities and shuttling people back and forth. One day, a scruffy lad hailed the sub.

Once he was inside, he asked, "Do you accept items as payment, or just money?"

"Depends on the object," she replied, leaving the sub in park. "Where are you going and what are you offering?"

"Well," the youth replied, pulling out a map, "I'm heading here to visit my friend's cousin, Tanaka. She lives in the cave at that location."

Erin took the map and frowned. "This looks like an old pirate's treasure map."

"Tanaka is a water dragon!" the youth replied. "I'm Samael, one of the last dragon riders. The dragon I work with is Arla. Tanaka's her cousin. Arla sent me to give Tanaka a present. I'm sure Tanaka will give me something from her horde as payment for the delivery, which I will give to you for the ride!"

"I see." Erin looked at the map again. Then, setting the map aside, she grabbed the levers of the sub and put it into gear. "All right, then, buckle up and let's go."

"Yes!" the youth exclaimed, pumping his fists in the air, then quickly buckling himself into his seat as the sub rocked in the current.

"My name is Erin, by the way," Erin said as she steered around a reef. "I can get you to your dragon cave in four hours or so. Then, I'll wait as you deliver your gift, so you can pay me."

"Perfect! Thanks, Erin." He sat back in his seat, looking out the round window at the fish, coral, and underwater cities passing by.

The submarine bumped down on the rocky outcrop below the cave.

"Okay, kid, we're here. This is as close as this old sub can get. You'll need to swim or climb the rocks up to the cave."

"Okay! Thanks!" He jumped out of his seat and headed to the airlock to be let out.

"Do you have a suit?" Erin asked. "I picked you up in the city, so you were in an air bubble. But, here, you're getting out in the open ocean."

"It'll be okay!" he assured her, pulling a flask from his pack. "This potion will let me breathe underwater!"

"Oooooh. That's neat. How long does it work for?"

"Hours!" Samael grinned. "You wanna come along? I have enough for both of us."

Erin jumped out of her seat. "Yes!" She joined him in the airlock, sealing them out of the main sub. After they each drank from the flask, she hit the button to allow the water in slowly, letting the water pressure settle before opening the external hatch.

They both exited the sub and looked at the craggy dark rocks before them, the cave entrance well above their heads.

"Wanna swim or climb?" Samael asked.

"I'll climb," said Erin. "I'm not so good at swimming." She went to the wall and began seeking hand and foot holds in the rock face.

"I'm not so good at climbing..." he said. "But I just ate during the ride, so I shouldn't swim!"

"You can use the ladder that's here." She patted a barnacle-covered ladder hidden against the rocks. "Or swim. Your choice."

"Awesome!" He hurried over and began ascending the ladder as she climbed the rocks beside him.