Sweet Sorrow

"Bruce! Y/N! Slow down before one of you falls!" Martha Wayne calls after you both as you run past laughing and screaming through the mansion. Bruce was hot on your heels as he extends his arm trying to catch you. You weave around the furniture and through the doors unable to shake Bruce. You stumbled over the edge of a rug almost falling forward but Bruce catches you and lifts you as he spins you around chanting " I caught you! I caught you!" You both start to laugh as Bruce sets you down. Martha and your mother walk in smiling at you two, able to appreciate the joys of youth.

"Y/N say goodbye, we're about to leave." Your mother says sweetly as she holds out her hand to you. You pout but turn to Bruce and wave goodbye. Your mother and you meet your father and your older brother in the foyer, Thomas Wayne stands there laughing over an unheard joke. You're about to leave before your father curses and pats down his pockets.

"Excuse me, I think I left the keys in your office Thomas." Your father quickly walks away to retrieve the car keys.

"It's a pleasure as always to visit Tommy." Your mother says sweetly.

"Oh no, the pleasure is all mine." He says and raises her hand to leave a gentle kiss on her knuckles. "Y/N is such a good friend to Bruce, we want to make sure they stay close." He smiles as he pets your head. Your father comes back into the room a moment later and with a few more goodbyes you leave...

3 Months later...

You were almost asleep, the rain softly pattering at your window lulled you into a warm cozy feeling. Almost asleep... and then the phone rang. It startled you awake, especially at this hour. You heard your father answer it but couldn't quite make out what was being said, all you know is his tone took a more serious nature to it. He soon called for your mother as he hung up. You were too curious and climbed out of bed to go see what was going on. You heard your mother walk into the study and what you heard next as you walked towards the study doors froze you in your tracts.

"Thomas and Martha Wayne were murdered tonight"

Your mother fell to her knees as a choked sob rang throughout the room. Tears welled in your eyes as you slowly opened the study door, your father looked at you as your mother cried on the floor. You looked to your father with one question in mind, terrified of his answer you shakily asked " B-bruce?"

Your father sighed "He's okay, the criminal didn't harm him."

You couldn't quite understand everything that was going on, you only knew that it hurt. You only knew that all you could do was cry. As you sat in the back of the car as your dad zoomed through the hills of Gotham, all you could do was cry. The rain softly pattering at the car window no longer provides that warm and cozy feeling, only Loneliness and gloom. Your family and you walk into the once bright and cheerful Wayne Manor, now muted and dark. A bunch of adults are there but you spot Bruce sitting on the sofa next to the fireplace. He stares into the fire with a blank expression, but you see something brewing behind his eyes, whatever it was scared you. You approached him quietly, when you stood in front of him his eyes locked with yours and you couldn't help the tears stream down your face again. "I-I'm so sorry B-bruce"

Bruce's expression immediately changed to pain as he started shaking and crying as he looked at you. You swiftly hopped up on the couch next to him and wrapped your arms around him as you both cried through that long dreadful night...

7 Years Later...

As time went on Bruce and you became a package deal, almost inseparable. Took family vacations together, always managed to find each other at the parties and Galas, and school project partners whenever the teacher didn't force you two to work with other people. Bruce and you always had fun together but you could always tell that even though his laughs were genuine he was never fully present. He's never been the same since his parents died, which is understandable of course, but as he's gotten older his anger has grown with him. He didn't quite understand why he was so angry all the time, why the smallest injustices would send him over the edge. He couldn't rest until the problem was solved and it exhausted him sometimes but he couldn't let it go. The only peace he could find was with you. Growing up Bruce always thought of you as his little sister even though you were only a couple months younger than him. He isn't quite sure when his perspective of you changed. When did he start staring a little longer than usual as you focused on your homework? When did he start longing to see your smile? or hear your infectious laugh? When did even the smallest touches or gestures start making his heart beat faster? When did you become the most beautiful girl in the world? He wasn't sure but it was eating at him how much he wanted to confess and be with you, but he also didn't want to ruin your lifelong friendship.