chapter 1

A door opening sound was heard; my eyes slowly opened, still heavy with sleep, as light seeped into the small, dark, and gloomy room. My gaze settled on the silhouette that had entered, and when I realized who stood before me, I quickly sat up, almost stumbling, with my books scattered across the cold tile floor.

"Professor?" I mumbled, rubbing my eyes. Before me was a man dressed in a long, white robe, his face marked by age, his white, wavy hair cascading over his shoulders.

"Didn't I tell you not to stay up too late while reading? You know that sleep is essential to absorb what I teach you," he said with a serious look. To be honest , I had spent the previous night studying the history of sorcery and its origins, completely ignoring his advice.

"I... I'm sorry, Professor. I really shouldn't have," I said, looking away, feeling a bit ashamed.

"As if that weren't enough, you've collapsed on the floor. You could have caught a cold. Do you realize that what you've just done is highly inappropriate and detrimental to your health?" He expected a concrete response from me.

I sighed, "Yes, Professor... I'm sorry."

"Very well, get up, please. I'll prepare something for us," he said as he walked across the room to the old kitchen. Professor Nicolas Flamel had never wanted to renovate his house; he always insisted on preserving its authenticity. Thankfully, I had strongly convinced him to renovate it all. His desk was always cluttered with scribbled notes and dusty old books, surrounded by a large antique library - a true prehistoric book museum. I had never ventured into his bedroom out of principle; my curiosity had never led me to cross certain moral boundaries, so I didn't know what secrets it held. It's a shame; I would love to find out.

I sat into a chair that gave a view of the kitchen. Professor Nicolas quickly placed two coffees and some chocolate biscuits next to a vase of orchids and gladioli.

"You shouldn't have, sir. I didn't mean to disturb you," I protested.

He took a sip of his coffee. "We've known each other for five years. Taking care of my protégé is only natural."

I smiled sincerely while mirroring his actions. It was true that since the great Nicolas Flamel, the master of potions, had taken me under his wing, I had made significant progress in sorcery and gained historical and theoretical knowledge. My diligent practice and hard work had earned me his praise, and he had become a fatherly figure, considering how well he took care of me.

He gazed thoughtfully out the window.

"Sir, are you all right?" I asked with apprehension.

He shook his head and regained his seriousness. I feared the worst.

"You're undoubtedly familiar with Dumbledore, aren't you?" I was quite surprised by the question. What did Dumbledore have to do with this?

"Yes, he's your friend, close to you, from what you've told me before," I replied.

"That's correct," he set down his cup. "But... what's wrong with him? And why bring him up now?" I asked curiously. It seemed like he was hiding something.

"Well... you know that every year, there's an enrollment for every wizard and witch who has turned eleven. I had a discussion with him, and we decided that-" I abruptly stood up, almost knocking over my chair. Professor Flamel seemed entirely unfazed by my reaction.

"It is O-U-T of Q-U-E-S-T-I-O-N!" I said firmly. He remained calm, eating a biscuit, with his eyes closed, expecting my vehement refusal.

"I fail to see why you shouldn't go. You're eleven now, and tradition dictates-"

"But I don't care about tradition! You know very well my opinion on this; I don't want to become a certified witch. I prefer to learn on my own without anyone else," I raised my voice, then pounded the table with my fist, earning a silent, contemplative look from the professor.

"I've already discussed this with Albus, and I've already enrolled you. It's your duty to go," he said firmly.

"You know... I don't want to go, and I've never wanted to be a witch," I replied, sitting back down. Mr. Flamel, who had been impassive until now, seemed to soften a bit. He got up.

"Wait here; I'll be back," I saw him head to his bedroom and heard the door close. A few minutes later, he returned, and I suddenly felt something wrap around my neck.

"Huh? What's happening?" The string tied itself, revealing a necklace with a small azure blue crystal adorned with a golden thread. I turned around in surprise and saw a faint smile on Mr. Flamel's face.

"Oh, sir..." I examined the necklace more closely. It was magnificent and undoubtedly valuable, but I couldn't accept such a precious gift. "It's far too precious."

"Keep it. It was specially made for you, so don't loose with it," he said, looking at me kindly. He still didn't seem to expect that I would leave. Did he?

"Sir, I'm staying here. I'm not going to Hogwarts, and especially not to meet Dumbledore."

"There's no objection. You'll go to Hogwarts and return here when the year is over. Is that clear?" He insisted heavily. I had no choice but to accept his decision.

I climbed onto the roof of the house, lost in thought, when I heard a small sound from a tree. I leaned over to see what it was.

"Psst... come here, no one's watching." The noise stopped, and then an eagle soared gracefully down to land on my arm. I stroked it.

"Comet? How long have you been here?" It blinked, and I nodded.

"Do you realize?? Me, a student at Hogwarts! Ugh... I'd prefer to be locked in the worst cell of Azkaban!"

It tilted its head in astonishment.

"Well... I have no choice. I'm officially a student at one of the greatest magical schools ever!" I said with irony while rolling my eyes. "It's such a shame..."

Comet pressed its little head against my cheek, offering comfort.

"Aw, you're so cute!" I wrapped my arms around it, and we gazed at the full moon, enchanted by its brilliance.

"You know... today, Mr. Flamel gave me a necklace. He said it's specially made for me. His kindness knows no bounds, and I'm sad to leave like this without seeing him for a year."

We stayed there for a few minutes in the cold of the night, swayed by the wind, gazing at the stars.
It seemed like a new beginning.