Chapter 14. Compromise

Charles decided it was time for a sprucing up. His hair was getting too long, and his beard was clearly gross looking stubble. He stripped and sat down in the rig that the robots employed to manicure and trim his various bodily accouterments, placing his wrists and ankles in the lockdown rings. Two robots arrived to lock him in so that they could do their thing.

He realized that being physically restrained was a safety factor, but it still disturbed him. He didn't like being vulnerable.

As if on cue, Alice entered his quarters and sauntered over to where he was being trimmed and shaved. Her eyes grew large for a moment before she squinted. "Oh, I'm sorry! I apologize for barging in while you're being trimmed up."

"That's okay!" Charles told her. "Why the visit?"

Her eyes scanned over his body before she locked her eyes to his. "I wanted to get your permission to move this vessel to a better location for observing the universe."

His eyes moved around for a moment of contemplation before he looked back at her. "I'll bet you're thinking of the L2 location."

"Yeah, that Lagrange point is perfect to get away from the Sun's glare."

"Sure, as soon as I'm done here, I'll move us there."

She waved a dismissive hand at him. "You don't have to do that. We can take care of it."

"Ah, are you sure that you can do that?"

She smiled. "Yeah!"

Charles wasn't so sure that she could, but he was in no position to do anything about it.

Alice moved closer and ran her right hand over his abdomen. "You have really nice abs," she said, smiling. "Do you exercise a lot?"

"Ah, yes," he said while watching her hand moving lower to his pubic area just barely missing touching his organ. "Do the robots trim your hair down here?"

"Not since they did right after I came out of hibernation."

She looked up at him with a concerned expression. "I'm sorry. I'm intruding on your privacy." Then she smiled. "Although, I'm enjoying the view."

The robots adjusted the chair rig to stretch his body out flat with his arms and legs spread out.

"What are they doing that?" She asked, her eyes examining his body as if they were laser scanners.

"I think they're providing you with a better view."

Her expression went from surprise to confusion and then to amusement. "I would thank them, but I don't know if they would understand it."

"Oh, I think they would," Charles told her. "They're programmed to obey us."

"I'm sorry," she said. "I didn't come here to be amused at your expense."

"I don't mind."

She squinted at him. "Why not?"

"You're free to come here anytime you wish."

"Even if it makes you uncomfortable?"

"It's not that bad."

She waved her hand at him again. "You're crazy! I'll go move the ship. Enjoy your grooming."

He watched her turn and walk out of his quarters before he told the robots to continue his grooming. The rig activated to put him in a sitting position so that they had access to his face.

When Alice arrived at the command deck, Hilary turned to look at her. "Did he agree?"

"Yes," Alice replied, taking a seat next to hers.