2 - Smile and Wave

Smile and Wave: Chapter 2

Smile and wave." Courtney told herself on the way to the island. The boat was as run-down and dirty as she remembered. She cringed anytime her finger grazed the greasy crate she sat on. The entire trip to the island Courtney kept on repeating that the only thing she would do on arrival is to smile and wave. It was the simplest yet most polite thing for her to do. All she wanted was to blend in during her stay here. She didn't mind being a background character as long as people stopped looking at her as a bossy type A. As she neared the island, She saw tons of familiar faces. She smiled at seeing past acquaintances, like DJ, Bridgette, Trent, even Lindsay. However, She suddenly cringed when seeing a bright green mowhawk. "Duncan." She thought to herself. "Of course. He probably only agreed to join to get out of prison for a bit."

As the boat slowed to a stop, she stood up and smiled. She gave a small wave and slowly stepped out of the boat and onto the deck. "Courtney!! How has our favorite Type A been since the ending of All Stars? The finale must have been humiliating for you, right?" Chris exclaimed in his talk-host voice.

Courtney rolled her eyes. "I've been alright, thank you." She said flatly.

Chris sighed dramatically, most likely expecting a rise or better reaction out of her. "Well, go stand over there. We have more arrivals coming right now!"

Courtney nodded and decided to stand next to Bridgette and Leshawna. The three of them gave each other a friendly smile. They would've conversed more, but everyone's attention was all focused toward the rest of the arrivals. Once the rest of the cast arrived, Chris's smile widened.

"Oh wow." He said dramatically, wiping a nonexistent tear from his eye. "It is just... -sniff- so beautiful to see all of you here again! It really reminds me how much I enjoyed torturing you all..."

That comment got nothing more than a few eye rolls and groans, and you could tell how peeved that made Chris. "Wow, guess nobody cares about the wonderful memories we made here. I WAS going to include an amazing montage of our time on the island together, but I guess not. Just go to your cabins to unpack and I'll assign teams once we are all ready."

Courtney picked up her luggage from the ground and started walking, when suddenly she came face to face with Duncan. She flinched at the sight of him. He stared at her for a moment and opened his mouth, about to say something. She simply stepped to the side and continued walking forward. She felt his eyes burn into the back of her head, but she didn't care. She was sick of him. She didn't care what he had to say. She agreed to go on this island to be able to move on from these painful memories, and that is exactly what she was going to do. She had no intention of rekindling relationships she knew weren't going to last.

As she was walking with her luggage, she looked around for the cabins. When she found them she placed her suitcase on a top bunk near a window. Bridgette came up to her and smiled.

"Hey, been a while huh?" Courtney said kindly.

Bridgette nodded. "I won't lie, I enjoyed the time away." They both chuckled at that comment. Bridgette motioned to the bottom bunk, and Courtney nodded.

"It's all yours. Just make sure Izzy doesn't want it or else she might tackle you for it."

Bridgette looked around for Izzy but she had already staked her territory by another bunk. "I think i'm safe for now, let's stay on her good side though." She whispered to Courtney. They both laughed as Bridgette and her started unpacking their clothes. This was what she missed. Her real friends. People she didn't feel the need to impress or put a facade around.

Once unpacked, her and Bridgette made their way to the campfire where Chris and Chef were located. She spotted Duncan sitting next to Gwen and felt a twinge of jealousy strum inside her. They were laughing together. Duncan was touching her arm. Her face flushed when Duncan suddenly made eye contact with her. She took a few deep breaths, trying her best not to recall the memories that took place the last few seasons here. She squeezed her thigh to try to avoid her distraught.