Chapter Four

Akira was afraid to touch the doll for the next few days. She knew it was stupid, but she thought it was more alive when it was near her.

But she felt lonely without her stuffed lamb, without having anything to hold and bring everywhere. Eventually, she took Rosemary down from the shelf. She jumped at the warmth radiating through the silk kimono. Akira almost dropped the doll as she felt how much softer its skin was. The porcelain felt more like clay now. At least the hair still felt the same, despite being longer.

She started to run a comb through the silky strands, almost pleased by the increased length. Her hand suddenly froze as she tied the hair together with a band. It felt stiff, as if trapped within the thick locks. She managed to pull her arm away and dropped the hairband to the ground, shaking her arm until her hand regained feeling.

She didn't have time to focus on the sudden and strange sensation when her mother came in. "Akira, it's time for your bath. Don't tell me you're going to take the doll with you again."

Akira shook her head. "Of course not. Especially after what happened when I did..."

"What? What did happen?" Mrs. Miyamoto demanded.

"Nothing," Akira muttered. "It just got in the way. I guess you're right. It takes up too much space. Not like Scottie..." She sniffled as tears filled her eyes.

Her mother wrapped her arms around her. "Oh, Akira, you aren't still upset about him, are you? It's not like he was the family pet. He's just a toy." She spoke almost pleadingly.

"I know," Akira sniffled. "But he... he was like my pet. For years. And you gave him to me, remember?"

Mrs. Miyamoto was almost as distraught by her daughter's sadness as Akira was. She hesitated. "Akira, I... I have something to tell you."

"Huh?" Akira stared at her. "What is it, Mama?"

Her mother hesitated. "I... I wasn't going to tell you this, but seeing how upset you are, I feel that I should. You see..." She paused. "I bought you another doll."

"What?" Akira gaped in surprise, not expecting to hear that.

"For your birthday," Mrs. Miyamoto explained. "I saw how sad you were after your stuffed animal was ripped... I mean, fell apart. And I saw how much you like the doll. So I decided to buy another one for you."

"Really?" Akira stared hopefully up at her mother. "Where is it?"

"I wasn't going to tell you until your birthday," Mrs. Miyamoto admitted, hesitating. "Then again, that's only two days until now..."

"Show me!" Akira insisted.

"Alright, alright." Mrs. Miyamoto briefly left the room. When she returned, she carried a lumpy parcel. "Happy early birthday," she said, smiling.

Akira snatched the present from her, running her hands over the wrapping paper. She could feel the soft material underneath. As she ripped the wrapping open, she gasped at the sight of the doll underneath.

It was completely different from the one she had. A plain rag doll with a red dress and a smile sewn on her face. No gleam in her button eyes, no shine in her long woolen hair. It was so simple... and Akira loved it.

Akira wrapped her arms around her mother. "Mama, I love it!"

"You do?" Her mother was surprised as she returned the embrace. "It's not as good as the other doll. It's rather plain, I know..."

"It's perfect," Akira assured, beginning to braid the yellow wool. "Thank you, Mama."

Mrs. Miyamoto smiled in relief as she stroked her daughter's hair. "I'm glad you like it, honey. Since I got you a doll on your fourth birthday, I figured I might as well get you one on your eighth."