Chapter Seven

"Akira, there's something I have to tell you."

Akira glanced up at her mother while placing Amelia down. She had been acting strangely, smiling one moment while playing with Akira and being aloof and distant the next.

"What is it, Mama?" Akira distractedly asked. "Rosemary is supposed to be making food for Amelia, remember?" She still liked the dolls, despite being wary of them. "I'm so glad I have these dolls. They're almost as good as Scottie..." Her heart constricted remembering her faithful stuffed lamb.

Mrs. Miyamoto hesitated upon seeing how happy her daughter was. Then she shook her head, forcing out the next words. "About him... there's something you need to know, Akira. Remember when he was ripped apart on your bed?"

Akira flinched at the memory. "Oh, yeah... but he wasn't ripped apart. You were right, Mama. He probably just fell apart in his sleep."

"He didn't," Mrs. Miyamoto insisted. She sounded so certain, Akira glanced at her in surprise. "I know exactly what happened to him."

"You do? What?" Akira asked curiously, returning her attention to the dolls. She tried to forget all about the stuffed lamb, no matter how much she had loved the thing. She had two new dolls now.

"It... it was me," Mrs. Miyamoto admitted, flinching. "I tore him apart."

Akira froze, before raising her gaze to her mother. She laughed. "Ha, ha. Good one, Mom."

She shook her head. "No, I'm serious."

"What do you mean?" Akira demanded. "You mean, you tore him apart by accident? That's fine. You're probably right. He was falling apart, anyway—"

"No," her mother interrupted. "I tore him apart on purpose."

"What?" Akira's mouth dropped open.

Her mother quickly forced out the next words, stuttering and stumbling over them. "I was going to just take him away from you, but I knew that if I did, you wouldn't rest until you found him. You'd search everywhere for him. If I tore him up, you'd think he fell apart in your sleep."

Akira's mouth dropped open in shock. Before she could process the words, her mother frantically continued.

"I thought you had long outgrown that filthy, tattered thing. But you insisted on carrying it around everywhere, no matter how much I tried to separate it." She lowered her head in shame. "It was in the heat of the moment. I barely thought about it until the lamb was torn to pieces all over your bed. I see now that I was being cruel and selfish."

"Mama—" Akira began. Her mother spoke so openly and sincerely, she instantly believed she was telling the truth. The first waves of anger began to rise inside of her as she remembered the tragic sight of her precious stuffed animal torn to pieces. How her mother had comforted her, speaking soothingly to her and making her favorite breakfast... and it had all been an act!

"I figure now that I should tell you the truth," Mrs. Miyamoto admitted, her eyes filled with guilt. "I was too afraid to before, but I don't feel right lying to you. You deserve to know, even if—"

"I... I can't believe it!" Akira cried. She squeezed the rag doll in her hands, staring at her mother in shock and anger. "How could you do something like that? You know how much I loved Scottie—"

"I know," Mrs. Miyamoto admitted. "I can't tell you how sorry I am. I never should have destroyed something that meant so much to you—"

"And you gave him to me!" Akira continued, her eyes blazing. "You gave him to me on my fourth birthday. You spent the last of your money on that thing rather than new clothes for yourself. I told you I'd treasure him forever — and then, you ripped him to pieces!"