Part 4 - In This Together

Barbie gives a sad smile before taking a deep breath and gently grabs Verosika's hand, pulling it into her lap.

"I'm not sober either," she begins. "And to be honest with you I never planned on being sober. Sure maybe from the hard stuff if I could, but I don't know if I could live life completely sober. So many terrible things have happened to me, I just don't see the point in raw-dogging it," Barbie explains. "And it gets especially hard when I start thinking about all the people I used to be close with when I was younger. My old friends, partners, my—"

"Mom?"

"Yeah...my mom," Barbie whispers, trying to hide the cracking in her voice. She turns her gaze towards the city lights and zones out on a tall rec building. Verosika stares at Barbie before looking down and intertwining their fingers, giving Barbie's hand a squeeze.

"Well...since neither of us can get our shit together, maybe we could not have our shit together...together?" Verosika asks with a shy grin. Barbie cackles and puts her head down, trying to shake off the sadness.

"Yeah toots...that sounds good to me," Barbie chirps. She sucks up a few sniffles and reaches into her bra, pulling out a cigarette from her pack. She lights it and tosses the lighter next to her on the ground, taking a long drag. "Damn bitch...got me all emotional and shit. Don't ever do that again, I'm not supposed to be a crier," she says.
Verosika doesn't respond and continues to stare at her. Barbie notices her gaze and raises a brow.
"What?" She asks, blowing out a cloud of nicotine.

Verosika places a palm on the side of Barbie's face and quickly leans in, simultaneously pulling Barbie's face closer to hers. Before Barbie can react, she's suddenly met with a pair of warm lips. Everything around her begins to fall silent.
No horns.
No distant yelling.
Not even the sound of wind whipping between skyscrapers. Just the silent rush of adrenaline in their bodies.
After a few seconds, Barbie allows herself to melt into the kiss, gently gripping the wrist of Verosika's hand on her cheek. Verosika slowly pulls away and looks at Barbie with a pair of worried eyes.

"Vee..." Barbie whispers.

Verosika leans back and slightly covers her mouth with curled fingers.
"I'm so sorry," she quickly begins. "Was that not the right thing to do? It felt right but maybe it only felt right to me, I should've asked fir—"

"Vee you're fine," Barbie interjects. "I liked it. A lot actually. I just wasn't expecting it."

"Oh..."

"See? You worry too much," Barbie grins. Verosika lets go of a relieved sigh, fixing her bangs. Barbie grabs her hand and kisses her fingers, giving them a quick squeeze before directing her attention back to her cigarette. "Let's go back inside, it's cold as fuck out here," she says.

"Yeah. I need to get out of this dress and get something comfy on. I have comfier clothes for you too if you need them. I can show you my closet next," Verosika chirps.

They both stand up and dust the concrete crumbs off of their dresses. Verosika walks towards the sliding doors, opening them for Barbie as they both make their way back inside for the night, continuing their chitter-chatter about the house. Their voices are slowly drowned out by the sounds of the active, never-sleeping city below them.