Lies

Weeks passed and both of them had moved on. Chloe had started school and was enjoying hanging out with her roommate and new friends. The press had found her at school for a few days but when they realized that Evan would not be showing back up to come get her, they left her alone. News about Evan and Erica’s impending parenthood had leaked to the press, so they were more fascinated in following the new parents to be around Hollywood then some girl that had her 15 minutes of fame.

Evan still thought about Chloe every day, wondering whether he should pick up the phone to call her and talk to her. He knew all she wanted was to be left alone now; he knew he’d broken her heart for the second time. But every time he decided he WAS going to call Chloe, Erica came into the room to talk to him or show him something.

One day, Evan needed some time alone to clear his head and just stop thinking about all the worries he had, so he decided to stop into a bookstore and peruse. He didn’t really pay attention to the titles of the books until somehow he had ended up in the pregnancy section. He decided to pick up and look at a book for fathers to be about pregnancy.

By now your partner should be showing! Congratulations! The reality that you are going to be a father is becoming real as you watch your partner grow bigger with your child. For some, the reality of becoming a father begins when they see their child on the screen of an ultrasound. If you haven’t already, attend the next appointment with your partner when they will check on your child (and you may even be able to see what it is!)

Evan put the book back and thought. Ever since Erica had told him she was pregnant, she had been insistent about getting married, telling him about appointments for the wedding, but she never mentioned anything about appointments for the baby. He figured maybe she had forgotten so Evan decided to go ahead and make her an appointment himself.

“Oh good, Evan, you’re home. I wanted to tell you that I made you an appointment at that tailor you like to select which suit you want to wear for our wedding. Now I can’t tell you anything about my dress but I told the tailor so he’ll steer you in the right direction for what will go with it,” said Erica looking at bridal magazines.

“This is quite the change from the simple court wedding you wanted to do before,” remarked Evan closing the door and setting his stuff down.

Erica looked up quickly and then back down to her magazine. “I had done some thinking and thought that maybe it would be a good idea to have a big wedding, after all, everyone expects it.”

“It’s fine with me either way. So you already got a dress? Aren’t you worried that you won’t be able to fit into it when we get married?” asked Evan, watching Erica out of the corner of his eye; he noticed she had stopped turning the page. “You know, because of the baby?” Erica had completely frozen for a moment. “No, it will be fine,” she said, relaxing very little.

“Okay, well speaking of appointments, I was wondering when your next pregnancy appointment was. I wanted to go to it.” Evan watched as Erica stiffened again. Erica reached for her phone and started messing with it. “I’m not sure; I’ll let you know when it is.”

“Oh that’s fine then, it’s just I really wanted to see our baby, so I was going to wait until your next appointment and go with you to see the baby,” said Evan sitting down.

“They may not even look at the baby,” started Erica.

“I thought about that, so I made us an appointment at a place that does only ultrasounds. I was reading a book today and it said that for some, the reality of becoming a father begins when they see their partner grow bigger with their child, but since you don’t seem to have grown any in your belly, it said that for others it when they see their baby for the first time on the screen. I wanted to see our baby,” said Evan wrapping his arms around Erica and giving her a hug. “The appointment is for tomorrow,” said Evan walking up to their room.

“Evan, wait,” shouted Erica, making Evan pause. “I have to tell you something.” Evan walked back down the stairs and sat at the table with her. Erica took a deep breath and then looked him in the eyes. “I have to tell you to cancel the appointment.”

“Why? I thought you said you didn’t know when your next appointment was or whether they would do an ultrasound,” said Evan confused.

“I don’t know, what I mean is that I don’t have a next appointment, because I never had a first appointment,” started Erica.

“Honey, you need to make an appointment, our baby,” started Evan holding Erica’s hand before Erica interrupted.

“Our baby,” stated Erica “doesn’t exist.”

Evan let go of Erica’s hand like it shocked him. “What do you mean? Did you lose the baby?” Evan started to get upset.

“No, I didn’t lose the baby,” said Erica, taking another deep breath. “I didn’t lose the baby because there was never one to begin with.” Evan stared at her in disbelief.

“Then why did you tell me you were pregnant?” asked Evan slowly, getting angry.

“Because I saw how close you and Chloe were getting. She was never supposed to be here, if it wasn’t for her, we would already be married,” said Erica.

“It was never her fault!” shouted Evan. He was livid now. “Chloe was right; I don’t know why I’m with you anymore.”

Erica began to cry, “You don’t mean that, we love each other, we’re good together.”

“Why? Why are we good together?” asked Evan.

“I don’t know, but I love you,” cried Erica.

Evan got up and started to walk away, “I thought I loved you, but I was wrong. It seems like I was wrong about a lot of things.” Evan looked at Erica,” We’re done; I don’t want to marry anymore.”

Erica screamed, “It’s because of her isn’t? You were just looking for a way to get rid of me. If she never came here…”

“If she never came her I would have never discovered the person you truly are and ended up married to you anyway,” yelled Evan. Both of them took a breath. “Just pack your things and leave. This was wrong and sick on so many levels, Erica. I gave up on my one chance to be with the woman I believe actually is my soul mate and you tricked me into believing that I was going to be a father. No one should ever be lied to about something as serious as an innocent child. Just get out, and don’t talk to me again.” Evan turned and left through the door, hoping Erica would pack her things while he was gone so he didn’t have to see or speak to her again.

Evan walked down to the nearest coffee shop to just people watch while he thought. He knew things didn’t add up when Erica cared more about the wedding then her baby that never actually existed. Then when he read that she should have been showing, he had a feeling she was lying about being pregnant. He just needed to trick her into admitting that she wasn’t. He didn’t think it would be as easy as that, he figured they would make it all the way to the doctors, or she would at least had the decency to tell him that she lost the baby and was afraid to tell him. That’s the problem with being with actors though; they can be really good at lying.

Evan spent a few hours at the coffee shop until he knew she shouldn’t be there any longer. When he got to the apartment, it seemed emptier than before although everything was still in its place. Everything was his except a few photos and her clothes that were all gone from the bedroom. On the dining table was a note sitting on top of a package.

Evan, found this while packing. I guess you always knew I was lying because you never signed the divorce papers. You were never mine to have. I hope she takes you back; after all, she’s still your wife. Erica.

He’d forgotten he had never signed the divorce papers. He remembered he had seen she had signed them but then Erica came out so he filed them back away. In his mind they were already divorced because she had signed them and then left; but he had never given up. There was still a chance she would be with him, and if not then he would sign them as well.

Evan grabbed the papers and headed down to his car. He couldn’t wait any longer; he had to go get Chloe back.