The truth comes out

“What do mean I’m already married? How can I be already married and not know about it?” asked Evan, his voice rising higher brining attention him from all over the room. Erica looked down at her lap getting embarrassed by this public display of anger from Evan. Soon everyone will realize who they are if he didn’t calm down.

“I’m sorry, but that’s what our records indicate; I can print out a copy of your marriage certificate to show you,” the lady typed quickly on her computer, getting startled by the anger. She quickly grabbed the paper and handed it over to him. “You are married, and your wife’s name is Chloe Travers.”

Evan took the paper, shocked at the news. Chloe Travers, his long ago childhood friend was his wife. It had to have been a sick joke to play on him. “I’m going to get to the bottom of this,” said Evan getting up to leave.

“I’m so sorry I couldn’t help you Mr. Holloway,” called the woman to him as he left with Erica following behind.

Once they were outside in the sunshine, Evan stopped and looked at Erica. They stood there for a moment just staring at each other, neither knowing what to say or how to react. Finally Erica spoke up, “So what do we do next? Do you even know who Chloe Travers is?”

“Yeah, I do. She was my childhood friend from when I was really young before I moved to the house that my mom now lives at. I stopped talking to her a long time ago though.”

“Maybe your mother knows something about this then, I think you should call her,” said Erica calmly. She knew his mother hated her so she figured that maybe it was some kind of plan that she had to ruin Evan and Erica’s marriage.

“I’ll do one better, I’m going to go see her, tonight.”

                                                                                *             *             *

Evan drove straight to his mother’s house that night, never stopping but for gas. Erica wanted to go with him but because his mother hated Erica and the fact that he wanted to know the truth about this marriage hoax, he told her to just stay where she was.

The house was dark when he pulled into the driveway but as soon as he turned the engine off the porch light was on and his mother was waiting for him at the door. “So nice of you to drop by Evan, where’s Erica at?” asked his mother as he came up the porch steps.

“Don’t play dumb with me mom, you and I both know you don’t like Erica and are glad she isn’t here.” Evan glared daggers at his mother, upset that she would even pretend that she cared where Erica was.

“Did you two break up? Is it over?” asked his mother, with too much enthusiasm in her voice, ushering him inside.

“No, our engagement still stands, but I’m glad you would have been overjoyed over my sorrow if we had actually ended it.”

“May I remind you I am your mother and you must respect me? What’s with the attitude? I haven’t seen you in months and this is how I’m treated the first time I see you?” asked his mother now glaring daggers back at him.