Planning a wedding

Evan didn’t have to beg to get the best wedding planners in town. Planning Evan Holloway’s wedding was the best honor of the decade that he even had wedding planners calling him after word got out he was looking for multiple. Finally he narrowed it down to the top three wedding planners in town. He and Erica would be meeting them all at his place so they could discuss the basics in the comfort of their own home. Erica wasn’t big into the party scene, since she came from a small town in the northeast. She got discovered while she was walking downtown; the director loved her simple beauty and air of innocence.

When the wedding Planners arrived, they all had multiple books and a notepad with pen at the ready. “So what kind of look were you going for?” asked Elise, the top wedding planner.

“Well, we originally wanted a simple wedding, nothing lavish, something for only our close friends and family but since this will be the hottest wedding in town we’ll have to build on that but just with a bigger crowd,” said Evan. Just listening to himself say that made him think that he had a big head.

“Alright then, it’s vague but we can work with it. Now you said that neither one of you wanted to really be part of the wedding planning process but wanted it done quickly, how quickly are we talking?” asked Elise.

“We want to get married soon so within the next 6 months would be nice,” said Evan, smiling and squeezing Erica to his side.

“I see, so I must ask since everyone will be thinking the same thing, is there a special reason to rush the ceremony? Perhaps a plus one?” asked Elise looking subtly at Erica’s flat stomach.

“No,” said Evan and Erica together. “What we mean to say is that we don’t care so much about prolonging our ceremony since we just want to be married to each other,” said Evan. He should have known people would jump to that conclusion when they heard the he and Erica wanted a quick wedding.

“Well if that’s the case, then why don’t you do what most couples are doing these day and go down to the courthouse and get married and then have an extravagant party afterwards with everyone? A party is a lot easier to plan than a wedding anyway. Most couples just get married and then have the party at a later date to celebrate the couple’s marriage. How about we give you a few days to think it over and then get back to us,” said Elise packing up her things and leaving.

It was definitely a good idea since he and Erica really didn’t want to do the whole wedding thing. “So what do you think Erica? It gives the people the party and us a simple marriage ceremony like you wanted.”

“I think it’s a great idea, we could even get married this afternoon if we wanted to,” said Erica a little dazed, since it seemed all to perfect.

“Today? I thought we could fly your parents and my parents in and then go get married in a few days down at the courthouse, that way we could have our family here with us when got married,” said Evan a little shocked.

“That would be nice but all I really want is to be married to you.” Erica looked into his eyes, excitement lingering behind hers waiting for his answer.

“If that’s what you really want, then let’s go get married today.”

Evan and Erica headed straight to the courthouse to file the paperwork. Since news of their engagement had broken, they were constantly followed everywhere by reporters so they had to change and disguise themselves so it would be more private or them.

“Hi, we would like to get married,” said Evan when they walked in to the receptionist.

“That would be the third door on your right, fill out the paperwork for the marriage certificate and then take it upstairs to wait until 3 pm when the judge will be performing civil ceremonies,” the receptionist said.

Every step they took got them more excited to be married. “Alright have a seat, I need IDs from both of you to get started,” said the worker. Once they handed over their IDs she had to double check them to see if they were real. “Are you kidding me? Are these fake? Or are you really THE Evan Holloway and Erica Pride?”

Evan dipped his sunglasses down, “That’s us, and we just want to get married now instead of waiting.”

The worker squealed, “How romantic, I’ll get right on it then.” She began to tap out keys on the computer excitedly until she noticed that something was wrong. Evan could tell by her face that there was a problem. “Um, is there a problem?”

“I’m sure it’s nothing, but a copy name but I need your social as well to confirm.” Evan gave her his social that she typed out on the computer; once again it came up with an error. “I’m sorry Mr. Holloway, but we seem to be having a problem. Did you once used to live at 56 Hall St, Sacramento CA?”

“Yes, but only when I was a child, nobody really knows that address unless they knew me way back then. Why?” asked Evan very intrigued that she knew that.

“I’m sorry Mr. Holloway but I can’t finish your paperwork for a marriage certificate,” she said sadly and confused.

“Why on earth not!? It should be simple and easy,” said Evan getting angry.

“I can’t finish your paperwork because you are already married,” she replied.