02. Changing Clothes Like Skin

"Changing Clothes Like Skin" 

Slipping in through the school doors, I leave my brother and his friends to smoke, as I make my way down the familiar hallways. I don't need to be caught up with his little smoking friend group, so I make my way to my locker, down in the 10th year hallway. 

Flipping the knob on my locker, I enter the code that I have had since I started here, hearing the familiar chatter of two familiar people. I don't need to look up or bother to even turn my attention towards them, as I know they are coming this way. That they are coming here for me, unlike anybody else in this school who doesn't even give me a second glance, while my name is written on the walls and in the school newsletter every week for something new, that doesn't involve drama or money. 

Addison and Andrew Parker were strolling down the halls of our preppy private school, laughing at one another. These two had been the only two people that had stood by me with everything, but even then, they didn't understand the extent of things at home. Only Addison, or as I knew her better as, Addie knew more than Andrew, or I called him Drew even though he didn't agree, but I still couldn't find it in me to tell her every single thing that happened to me. 

It would break me. Even she didn't understand why I changed sports every season. That's right. Every single season, I am doing something different. Occasionally, I'm going from one sport to the other in the same season, juggling a full schedule with no room to do anything but those two things and school. 

"Hey girl" Addie sung, as she skipped away from Drew, and sidled up with me. "Hey" I spoke back, trying so hard to match her energy. She was like the sun, just never seemed to go out, like ever. She had unlimited energy, that on a daily basis, I just can't always reciprocate as much as I try. Some days are harder than others, but today is just a day, where it's not hard, but it's getting back into everything. 

Plus, the sight of my brother this morning in his room, was nerve-wracking. His driving didn't help his case in covering up what I know has happened. I just really hope that he hasn't gone as far as I think he has, as that will be just another thing that becomes my fault in this mess. "You ready for the start of the new year?" how could I forget. 

I had been invited to the grades biggest party of the year, that at our school, it is known that once you hit tenth grade, someone hosts that biggest new years party. I hadn't asked my parents, as I had never really been the party type, but I just had this feeling they would say no and I didn't want to be labelled as a loser. I was an athlete, but that didn't mean that I couldn't, for once in my life, sacrifice one training, did it? 

"I guess so. I need to ask though" I murmured, exchanging my books, before shutting and locking my locker. Just as I did so, my brother was storming this way, a dark look in his eye. He was a senior, and seniors did not roam this part of the school for the fun of it. If anything, they stayed clear of my grade and below, and we did the same for the seniors. They were scary, if anything, and my brother was the worst of them all.