09. Lie To Me, I Dare You

"Lie To Me, I Dare You"

It was our final day here at the lake house, as we would be going back to reality tomorrow morning, so I savored whatever hours I had left here. But, that didn't mean that I didn't have Hugo breathing down my neck in some way or Teddy begging me to swim, while I denied. 

There was no way that I was going to crack this easily, there was just no way that I could let everything go to them that easy. It had been too long, away from them, for it to just be a walk in the park to expose everything in my life that they had missed. Every injury and every cry of pain couldn't just be washed down the drain with no repercussions. 

At least, with Hugo following me around like a hawk, it was like he was trying hard not to miss something in my life, after everything he had missed all these years. He could never know, how truly damaged I had become in the last 3 weeks. There was no changing the person that I had become now. 

"Eve, come for a swim" every single time that we had been out on the boat, I had refused to get in the water. Partly because it was the dead of winter and freezing cold, but mostly because I had things that I didn't want people to look at. Scars and bruises that no one needed to see, from people that had hid themselves so well in my past, there was no coming back. 

There was obvious reasons as to why I changed from certain sports, but there was the selective few, where I had no choice. No choice because someone was already better at it than me, whether it was my siblings or just another person that my mother despised their mother of something from way back in their childhood.

Something that didn't concern me. So, I shook my head at Teddy, just curling further back into the pool chair. "Did you bring swimmers, Eve?" Amelia's sweet voice filtered into my ears, as she came and stood near me, but I remained as still as possible. There was an answer that I didn't want to give here, because than that would mean I should swim. 

I had always swum here, as I had been a swimmer at some point. I had become a volleyball player that did track and field on the side. I played tennis on the weekends, and the occasional soccer game when I was needed. I used to be a ballet dancer and a gymnast at some point, but those both had ended badly.

"Eve?" I looked up at Hugo, before pulling down the sleeves on my hoodie over my fingers, and pulling my arms tighter around my body. "Milly offered to give you some swimmers if you didn't have any. Do you have any?" I just shook my head, unsure of which I was answering. Hugo's voice was harder to ignore, and pretend that I was in my own little world. 

"Come with me" Amelia then gestured for me to follow her, so I did, avoiding the glances that were being shared between Teddy, Hugo and Silas. I kept my head down, as I followed the girl that had once been the person I had truly called my big sister, and not the one that was actually related to me. 

I followed her up into the room that we had always sat and had chats. Chats about the boys and even about my sister and mother. She had hugged me on this bed a million times, before we had laughed as we laid down on our backs and stared at the stars that we had stuck on the roof. "What's going on?"