06. You Can't Catch Me

"You Can't Catch Me"

Feeling my breath hitch, I watched the person point the gun at me, as they climbed out of the drivers seat, while I watched another car pull up behind, but was stopped at the tall gates that had always kept me trapped in here. The same gates that people always see surrounding rich castles in dystopian movies. 

I never would have thought, that I would see this day, where my own brother is holding a gun that is pointed towards his own little sister. A scream with a gasp came from behind me, but I held my bag even tighter on my shoulders. At this point, I could care less whether or not he killed me, on my own doorstep. 

"Lijah, put that gun down!" my mothers voice was muffled by the hand that I knew was holding her scarf to her mouth. If my brother didn't kill me right now, I would forever be indebted to my mother for her saving my life. I watched from a distance, as I saw someone else's figure climb over the fence that I hated, with such ease, as my mother continued to plea my brother.

Elijah was shaking his hand as sweat dripped from the clasp he had on the gun, while he was squinting his eyes. It was like he was trying to toss up whether I was his sister or not, and if I was worth going to jail for murder. I knew that I wasn't worth it, and I think he knew it too. He had always known it and he had made sure that I had known it. 

But right now, with the gun still pointed at me, I wasn't so sure this was the same brother that I had seen in that photo. "Mother, I can end all of your suffering, right here, right now" my brother shook the gun in my face, as I felt the first tear trickle down, while I still watched the figure slowly approach. 

I knew I caused my mother grief. I caused her more than grief. I was a disappointment and a mistake. I didn't fit in, as I was nothing like the rest of my siblings. I was not pretty like my older sister, I didn't have confidence like Elijah, and I most certainly didn't have the popularity and the skill to just talk to anyone and anybody like Sebastian did, even if I had seen him being a douchebag. 

From the way that my father never spoke to me nor did he take any interest in what I did, or how good I was at a sport, I knew he didn't like me. He had never taken the time to sit down with me and ask how my sport was going at the time. He didn't care, as he was just some absent figure in my life that had always and will always back whatever my brothers do. 

If my father was here, he would be backing Elijah, over me. I knew that my mother was causing a tear in the family by standing here. The only reason she was telling him to put the gun down was so that the two of them wouldn't go for jail, as she would be an accessory in it all, if she didn't go down with me.

I don't even get why my brother was doing this to me. I had never done anything to spite him, yet I had a hundred million things that I could pin him down for, but I never did. I knew that if I was holding a gun, like my brother was to me, I would regret it for years. I would never see myself in the same way that my brother could just easily do.