Chapter 8

Trent

Life on a boat. It's cool, I guess, but I prefer the comforting buzz of machines on land. Still don't know why I agreed to this; I would've preferred to stay home. Oh well.

I listen to the others arguing about how long it'll take for us to get to Amphibia. Thistle and Kale can never seem to get along, but River always tries to play peacemaker between them. He does occasionally take the side of the amphibian he agrees most with though.

I look at the sky and see that it's almost dusk. Since we started travelling in the morning, I'd say we have roughly an hour left. The engine seems stable enough to keep going by itself for the rest of the trip, so I guess I can relax for the time being.

"An hour." Everyone falls silent and they all turn to look at me. "Give or take." I don't speak much. Not after the... incident... anyway, so they know that when I do talk, I should be listened to.

River's silently thanking me with a smile, while the other two are glaring at each other, getting ready to find something else to argue about. I huff and shake my head, then go to bow of the boat to think and keep a lookout.

Me and the gang met up a month ago. Kale asked each of us if we'd like to go to the past and get rid of the humans, as he views them as untrustworthy, bad creatures. We said yes, but I personally don't mind the humans. I only came to the past to meet Polly in person.

During the short period of time between us meeting and us ending up where we are now, me, River and Thistle took the time to know each other better. Though I only really told them my name, age, where I come from and what I do. That does still count though, right?

Thistle is a very energetic green frog and her appearance sort of resembles her namesake due to the white spots that look like prickles on her head, arms, legs and back. She's great with battle plans, and she tends to rush into things. She also has a pretty big temper and because of this she gets into a lot of arguments.

River on the other hand is a smallish orange newt that likes to stop arguments. Most of which are caused by Thistle. He probably has a crush on her, but I won't be the one to reveal that. He's smart and kind, but he'll probably break if something bad happens to him. River also doesn't want to get rid of the humans; he's here to meet Marcy.

Our boss likes to keep to himself, but from what I can gather he dislikes humans a lot. Don't know why though. He's a tall yellow newt.

As the sun goes down, I see the first few bits of land appear. I walk over to Kale and show him, then I sit down in the cockpit with the others. Thistle's driving the boat and I don't think I trust her to do that, but she probably wouldn't budge no matter what I try to do, so I'm not going to bother.

We reach shore soon after, and River suggests we camp in the forest for the night as the beach would leave us wide open. Kale nods and we get all our gear out, then set up our tents. Tomorrow we're heading off to Frog Valley.

Marcy

I wave goodbye to Olivia and Yunan and head off to find Andrias based off of their directions. Yunan gave me a quick answer when I first asked, but Oliva and her gave me more detailed instructions after I left their house.

Speaking of which, it was soooo cute! Just a small cottage in a nice, sleepy little town. Though on the inside it's pretty obvious that they're not your average villagers.

I walk along the path leading to Andrias's place, getting ready to face him again after what happened last time we were here. As expected, the house was big because of how tall he is. When I arrive, I knock on the door and patiently wait. 

"Hello? Who's there?" He opens the door and looks down. I notice his eyes are grey and unfocused, so I come to the conclusion that he's blind. Hopefully he still remembers my voice. "Hey, Andrias. It's me, Marcy."

A look of surprise crosses his face before he picks me up and inspects me. He then puts me down and motions at me to enter his house. "Come in, come in."

He sits down in his living room while I stand, seeing as though there are no other chairs. He asks me a few questions, then seems pleased. "So it really is you. Why did you come here after all I've done to you and the rest of Amphibia?"

Never thought I'd say, or rather think, this, but I am so glad he's blind right now. If he wasn't, he'd see me stiffen and start shaking as I remember some of the things he's done.

I was stabbed through the back, the sword piercing me straight through and hurting me in more ways than one as I started bleeding out. All I could do before I passed out was look at Anne and apologize to her.

After being put in a revival tank, I had to endure days of pure nothingness before Olivia and Yunan came to my 'rescue', only to be forced into seeing one of my worst fears and having hundreds of minds being downloaded into - and taking control of - my body as my tortured screams fell on deaf ears.

I shudder involuntarily and try to regain my composure as I think of an answer to his question. "I... I don't know. I want to clear things up with you while I still can." The implied meaning of this hangs in the air for a bit.

Andrias sighs. "I suppose that makes sense. Marcy, I truly am sorry for everything I have done. I do not know if you can forgive me, but know that I will try to make it up to you during these last few years of my life."

I nod before remembering that he can't see. I silently curse myself and I decide to give him the blunt but honest truth.

"Andrias, I- I don't think I can forgive you yet. I want to, and I'm happy that you want to try and earn my forgiveness, but all the memories of what happened won't go away in just a few years. I still need some time, but scars heal eventually, don't they?"

He smiles and gets up. We both walk outside and he pats my head. "Take care of yourself, kiddo." I nod to him, once again forgetting he's blind. "You too, Andrias. And by the way, I know that your old friends probably forgive you too."

I walk away before I can see his reaction, but I do hear some tears fall onto the ground as he goes back inside. I make my way back to Wartwood soon after.