Chapter 10

I've been thinking about time paradoxes lately because of this story.

------------------------------------------------

Kale

"Alright, now that we're in Frog Valley we can get started on our mission. Trent, Thistle, you're staying here to look after camp. River, you go to Wartwood and see if the humans are there. If they are, talk to them and the local frogs, make them trust you and gather intel. I'll go scout out the areas around here, got it?"

"Hang on, how is that fair? Why do me and Trent have to do boring stuff while you and River get to explore? No offense, River." As usual, Thistle is trying to argue with me. I huff, "Because I'm in charge and I say so."

For once, she doesn't talk back and just mutters curses, so I look at the other two to make sure they understand what they're doing. "Right, Trent and River, you know what you're doing?"

Trent nods and River glances at the path to Wartwood. "Mhm. I'm going to gather some... intel. Totally not going to do anything else. Just going to Wartwood to get intel like a totally normal newt. Bye!"

Yeah, he's definitely not going there just for intel. Thistle looks like she's about to die of laughter. "Oh, River is killing me. I can't tell if he's excited or just being an idiot. And what was up with the way he said intel?"

Trent looks alarmed. "How is he killing you?" Thistle is even closer to dying right now with the way she's laughing and I'm also cracking up, if only slightly. Thistle tries to explain what she meant, and I use this opening to escape them. "Right, I'm going to go now."

Before the other two can say anything, or this this case, before Thistle can say anything, I run into the surrounding swamp. I take this time to appreciate my surroundings and wonder why I didn't go out into nature as much before.

I mean, the plants are vibrant and lush, there's a frog being carried around by a dragonfly, there's a red mantis coming towards me... 

Ah. Now I know why I don't go out into nature. I run as fast as I can with the insect following me, and at the last second I stop, grab a branch from the nearest tree, break it off and stab it into the creature's head, its insides spilling out before me.

I look down at the stain on my shirt. "Well, I'm going to have to clean that up." I put the stick down and grab a mantis leg, taking a bite out of it. I may be a newt, but that doesn't mean I have to be civilised all the time, especially not when I'm alone. Food is food!

As I continue walking, I throw the leg away and spot a village nearby. That was fast. There's a lot of work going on and a few of the frogs living there give me strange looks while doing their daily chores. To be fair, I'm a tall yellow newt with mantis blood on my shirt. Who wouldn't give me a weird look?

Ignoring the whispers that follow me, I walk around and ask a few of the locals about what it's like around here. Once I'm satisfied with their answers, I walk back to camp. Thistle probably thinks I put her with Trent so I could get away from her, but that isn't really the case even if that's true.

Knowing her, she'll try to disobey my orders and go explore. Trent being there will help keep her in check and give her someone that'll listen to her without interrupting her. While it may seem like I hate my three team members, I do care for them and think about their needs. Not like they understand that though.

Before I know it, I'm back at camp. I can hear Thistle talking to Trent and I decide to ignore them, instead going into my tent and getting a blank piece of paper and a map. I began writing down the information I received at the village and made plans to go visit more. However, after I get out of the tent the two members of my team that are at camp spot me.

I mentally slap my face. Why did I forget to be stealthy? It doesn't matter now, Thistle's hopping towards me with Trent following suit. "Kale, what gives? You were supposed to tell us when you got back! But anyway, what info did you receive? And why's there blood on your shirt?"

I explain quickly and notice Trent staring behind me. "Trent, what's wrong? I don't-" 

I'm interrupted by a hiss. There's another mantis, and its staring at me. I think the blood attracted it.

Before I can act, Thistle and Trent are going straight for the kill. In five seconds, a corpse has fallen where the insect once was. "I'm going to assume you two were training together. Sorry, can't chat for long, this place won't scout itself!"

Again, I run into the surrounding swamp, only this time in a different direction than the one I went to before. This process goes on for a while, with me investigating different locations then returning back to camp, annoying the frog out of Thistle.

"That's it. I can't take it anymore! Either you stay, or I go." She's practically shouting this at me. "Thistle, you are in no place to give orders right now. I'm in charge, remember? Or did your tiny frog brain forget?"

"I DO NOT HAVE A TINY BRAIN! And who says you're boss? Last time I checked, it was me, Trent and River doing all the work, not you. Doesn't that mean we get to be in charge?"

"I'm the one who asked you to come, and I do plenty of work, thank you very much! I've been running around nonstop all day, if you haven't noticed by now."

"Yeah, and I've been asking to run around too but you won't let us! How is that-"

Trent cuts her off by clearing his throat. We both back down immediately. If you're annoying him, you stop as soon as possible, because he almost never gets annoyed. Thistle grumbles under her breath and I go into my tent. Never thought I'd say this, but I miss River.

---------------------------

This took... longer than expected. Oh well, at least it's out. I'll try to upload at least once a week.