Chapter Eleven

Prisoners and Princesses

A bold request. That's what it was.

And an embarrassing one.

I stared at him with a smug on my face. Then slowly began to chuckle and giggle, until I couldn't hold my laugh anymore. Napahakbang ako papalayo sa kanya. Inalis ko ang punyal sa leeg niya at napahawak sa tiyan. I laughed in front of him—them.

Him and Ilias surprisingly waited patiently for me to catch my breath. I grabbed my cup of wine that Ilias saved in his hands when I threw the table and finish it in one drink.

Nang makabalik na ako sa sariling wisyo ay binalik ko ang tingin ko kay Ottis. The terribly and achingly annoyed look on his face made me want to burst into laughter again.

"This is serious." The wizard murmured before putting a hand on his forehead to massage it. "That's all I'm asking you. A few days—"

"Haven't you heard?" I cut him off. "The Starling never had a delayed mission. I am not about to ruin my reputation for you."

"This is not about your mission—"

I playfully pointed my dagger at him again. "Listen, wizard. If you can't tell what I want to know, then I'll just gut you alive right there in your spot and be done with it. I'm not delaying my freedom for you. I will silence you, and I will take care of your spies afterwards..."

He heavily sighed and put down his bottle of wine on the ground. He glanced at Ilias. "We need to talk, you and I, old friend..." he murmured then glanced back up to me. "And as for you, Starling, you won't be going anywhere."

His robe swayed when his right hand unleashed something from his cape. I blinked when a spark had hit my eyes. I stepped away and pulled Calanthe out using my free hand, only to see the wizard's staff with a power already brewing inside it.

He grinned. "Consider your stay as my death wish."

Pinatulan ko ang kanyang ngisi.

"Come on, Ottis, play nicely. I am not staying in this shrinking cabin with the hideous shits around it." I hissed. Worse. This place is worse than the rotten bones in the elven cells.

He just shrugged. Then it only took second when a blast of power came rushing out his staff. I rolled myself to the ground, dodging it. I eyed Ilias. The grumpy elf only remained in his seat while looking at us, assessing.

Napadaing ako at nagdalawang-isip kung sino ang unang aatakihin sa pagitan nila ni Ottis.

'Not yet. One day. One day, I will name my price for saving your life. I will make you pay me something in return.' I swore silently while meeting his glowing eyes.

He only tilted his head a bit. His forehead furrowed and his lips twitched. As if he heard that.

Napakurap ako. How—

A ball of ice hit me from behind. From Ottis' direction. Calanthe dropped somewhere while I flung to the drawers. The cold crawled up from my legs to my neck, choking me. Not the hurtful one, but a choke that makes want to... fall asleep.

Bumigat ang talukap ng mga mata ko. Sinubukan kong tumayo. Pero tuluyan ng nanlamig ang mga paa ko at bumagsak lang ulit.

Arms caught me before I could slam back to the ground. It was a warm embrace. Almost warm enough to remove the cold entangled around my neck. I breathed in the warmth—his warmth before opening my eyes.

"You will live," Ilias mouthed, reassuring.

I blinked, recalling one of my first words to him. "Live..." I whispered back.