Chapter Fourteen

The String

Surprisingly, the window on the next house was open. But entering had never been my problem. Interrupting is.

Tumikhim ulit ako sa pangatlong pagkakataon, pero nanatili pa rin siyang walang kibo.

I frowned.

Ilias was standing in front of a window for hours now. I left him here since the break of dawn. The first thing he did was stand in front of that window and just stare into oblivion. Until now, he's still doing it. He didn't even bother to remove his satchel. His hood remained covering his face and his hands on his pockets as he took it all in. The view, the crowds, the marketplace near this house, everything out in the world.

I hear elves have incredible eyesight. If that's true, he probably mastered already the ins and outs of this place. All the possible escape route he could take. And maybe the few hidden tunnels. He might as well have been watching me as I make my way here.

Napabuntong-hininga ako nang hindi pa rin siya gumagalaw. Sumulyap na ako sa labas ng bintana. The view from here was truly exquisite. It covers the whole village and its people. Wild, I prefer to call it. This village is wild, along with that were excitement, dares, and fun.

I leaned against the door frame. While he's busy for whatever reason there, I took the time to stare at his gloriousness. I was right. Phileis is nowhere near the size of him. Not even the elves I've seen looked like him.

It is known that the power of the elves fade as they age. But from what I saw in Ottis' house... that force coming out of him, it's not lost nor fading. Hindi ko alam kung bakit biglaan nalang iyon lumabas mula sa kanya, pero nakakasigurado ako. It was restored in him. For three hundred years, it hasn't fade. Or maybe it has. And it had only returned because he escaped, or maybe it was a part of the tests done to him.

The things that have been done to him...

I refuse to think of it.

"It was strange to be in the world again." He spoke before finally looking back at me. "Only to see not much has changed."

Nagkabit-balikat lang ako habang nakahilig pa rin. "Sinabihan na kita bago pa man tayo pumunta rito... I warned you. This village is nothing like your elven shrines. Yet you still insisted to come."

"I want to make sure you will keep your word." He scowled.

I smirked. "Good for you, elven, I am anything but a breaker of promises."

"But you have no intention keeping them as well, don't you?" He folded his arms.

Napawi ang ngisi sa mukha ko. Was my plan that obvious? Was faking Ottis' death, trying to drag out answers from Sora for them as a form of my help not believable? Was it obvious, that I've let him come here in this village to see that he still has other options? Like savoring his own freedom.

Lumapit siya sa akin. I remained leaning on the door, trying to hold my senses together. I can fight him, if he decides to pin me down. I can do it. But I'm not so sure if I can escape if he chooses to fight back. Shit.

"You escaped. You can get away from all of this if you like—"

Napasinghap ako nang bumagsak ang isang kamay niya sa pintuan bilang pagharangan sa akin mula roon. Napamura ulit ako. Hindi na ako makakalabas pa.

My chest rise and fell when he lower his head to me. His body is only a few inches away from mine. I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. Inangat ko ang tingin ko at nanatiling nakatitig sa kanya. I looked at him with the same torturous gaze until our eyes reflect each other.