Chapter Twenty-two

A Slave's Blade

The first elf swung his burning sword to my feet. I jumped and spun myself on the air, flawless enough for me to flip my feet. My right foot meets his jaw which send him flying and rolling down to the ground.

I landed on my feet, but before I could lift myself up again, two elves were already hovering over me. Napahiga ako sa lupa at iniwasan ang sunod-sunod na hampas ng kanilang mga espada. Their burning swords landed on the ground causing the wooden floors to burn, stinging a part of my skin. I took the chance to stand when the floors burn on the gap between us.

I kicked the second guard's hand and clenched my fist for his face. Tumama ang kamao ko sa mukha niya, sanhi upang mabitawan niya ang espada niya. It stopped burning when it left his hand, but its sharpness will do. I reached for it and twist it around, causing its tip to his the guard's shoulder. Bumagsak siya sa sahig.

I turned towards the others and positioned myself, swinging the guard's sword on my hands, measuring its weight. It was heavy since it was made from mountain steels and by elven craftsmanship. Unlike the usual kingdom-made swords I held which weighed lighter and thinner. But this one is more longer and well-balanced than most. It seemed more like a staff than a sword. I frowned while its the edges. Impressive but could've been better.

I let the third guard take me down with one punch to my face. I knelt one knee and drew the sword on my hand to his feet, altogether with the two more guards incoming. The three of them fell down. I took the chance to step on their backs to meet the five more running towards my direction.

It was a rain of clashing swords that had stormed through the halls. I hate to admit it but they're very good at swordsmanship. Not as good as me, but they have skill. Confusing me with the direction of their aim which gave me a few cuts. Good.

"Enough!"

My hand on the air halted when Faelyn's voice echoed. Napalingon ako sa harapan. Aelia still stood in front with the elven council behind her. While Czar walk to Faelyn who just entered the hall from the door behind the council. Napasinghap ako at tumayo ng matuwid habang humakbang naman papalayo sa akin ang mga kawal.

She's taking control. Faelyn.

I catch my breath and glanced at the other guards still lay unconscious on the ground. I wipe the blood of my lower lip before messaging the muscles on my shoulder. I needed that. After weeks of sinking myself in books, I needed that. Some exercise. Some fight before facing the real one.

"Aelia, please... This won't solve anything." The blind oracle stepped forward, leaving her husband's embrace. "The girl has proven herself enough."

Aelia only scoffed. "Do you think staying in her cell for three weeks is enough for the elves?"

Faelyn gasped. Kumuyom ang mga kamay niya. "So... why did we keep her?" She shook her head. "This is pointless. Why can't you just let those who wanted to help us help?"

"She's here for a different use." The goddess grinned as she continues to glance down at me. "For Ilias."

Humigpit ang hawak ko sa espada. It's clear to me now. She has no intention of killing me because she knows. She knows about me and Ilias. Pinagmasdan ko siya ng maagi, at ang konseho sa likuran niya. It seems like Czar's elven council turned away from him and tended to Aelia. Him and Faelyn have no power here. Not while she's here.

Their soldiers and guards were all here too, which means in all those weeks... they haven't made a move yet. No one has left the shrine to do anything. No one except for Ilias.

Ilias who left after bringing books to my cell. My sword with him. To Hawthorne. And he hasn't returned yet until now. Has Aelia been waiting for him? Did she even get anything out of him?