Life ain't fair

When was the last time I ate a decent meal? Never. Exactly. What the hell am I supposed to do? Live in this rotten junk hole forever? Mom just had to leave, and now I'm stuck here with him. A drunker. Gabe. I hate him. I hate him I hate him I hate him. That fat asshole. We're thousands of dollars in debt! And what does he do? Sit around and stare at the TV! Making me do all the work! I'm only twelve! What does he think I am? His personal servant? Slave?

I am Gabe Dewitt. Stupidest name in all of history. Yet I have as good as a life I can get. That useless child. So ungrateful, doesn't she understand what I do for her? I feed her, I...keep her alive. All I ask of her is to pay me back the money she owes me. And interest. No wonder Victoria left me; probably because of that sick kid. Didn't want to raise her. Even with a handsome, great guy like me. Could've at least taken Alyssa. Pathetic really. If she didn't run off with that rich jerk we would've risen to the top of the food chain, wealthy and a loving family.

𝘓𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵...

"Knock knock! Knock knock! Anybody home? Mr. Dewitt? Excuse me si-?"

He's cut off as the door swings open revealing an irritated fat, middle-aged man with a bottle of beer in one hand.

"Whadya want circus freak? Already said that I ain't sending ya the girl. Told ya to come and pick 'er up yerself."

"And here I am, picking Ms. Hensley up myself. I would like her now would you please?"

"Wha? I wasn't serious! I want money at least!"

"Very well sir, would this be enough?"

The unusual man hands Gabe a fat stack of notes.

"Yo kid! Get over here! There's someone who'd like ta meet ya."

What. The. Hell. There is a man standing at our doorway. He has that jester hat thingy! And the clothes! So immaculate, and strange. But, he's from the circus, right? I think so, judging by his, attire. So...enthusiastic. Crazy grin too. What in the world is wrong with this guy?

"Ms. Hensley? I'm assuming this, gentleman, is your father?"

"Step-dad, but yeah, basically."

"Well, I've just paid your step-father 5000 pounds to take you away! Hold on, that didn't come out right, not with the desired effect. Right,  how about, Ms. Hensley, what do you think of joining the circus? It will be tons of fun, and you'll be able to leave and not live in this, rotten junk hole, did you say? Yes, and not live in this rotten junk hole forever! What do you say about that Ms. Hensley? Please, I must insist."

The man grins at Alyssa unnervingly.

"What? What do you mean? I mean, I would love to, but why? I don't really think I'm fit for the circus. Why do you want me to join? I don't understand."

"That's perfectly alright Ms.Hensl-"

The man is cut off again by Alyssa.

"Call me Alyssa, I don't really care for formalities."

"Very well, Ms. He-I mean, Alyssa. It's perfectly fine for you to hesitate, most of my other members were like this when I asked them, but either way, you'll join my circus, I'll be your ringleader and everything will be back to normal soon."

Alyssa stares at him, unsure of what to say, shocked, confused, joyful, and, a little sad.