one | birth.

A son shall not bear the iniquity of his father, nor should a father bear the iniquity of his son;

You were supposed to be protected, but I failed to do so. The purpose of my life was to guide you through obstacles, to show you a better life than what I was given. However, I have no choice but to fight; I have nowhere else to run. You will receive a piece of my wisdom and soul as a guide. If I return, it will be when you are able to protect yourself. Our time together will never compare to the time we spend apart. For those above who are listening, if you hear my call, guard my soul if I die.

――☽☼☾――

Glenn trudged home, his worn-out boots dragging along the pavement. He could feel the weight of the day on his shoulders, but his concern for Melissa was a heavier burden. Entering through the front door, he found her by the window, gazing into nothingness outside. The room was filled with the lingering scent of coffee and the heavy silence of sorrow. "Melissa," he called out, his voice carrying the essence of his day. "Are you okay?"

She turned her head slowly towards him, her eyes meeting his. "I'm fine," she replied, her words lacking the conviction.

Glenn opting not to pry further, asks, "Do you want Gem's Diner, tonight?"

Melissa nodded, before drinking from her coffee cup.

Glenn hesitated before posing a question that hung heavily in the air. "When was the last time you left the house?"

She looked aside, her response feeble. "Yesterday, I went out for a bit to water the plants in the backyard."

Glenn saw through the deception, a frown etching onto his face. "That doesn't count. You need some fresh air, Lis. Let's go for a walk, or even to the creek. It's not healthy to be cooped up in here."

Melissa's eyes widened, panic flickering. "What are you talking about?" she questioned.

Glenn, determined, scooped her up over his shoulder without warning. Melissa initiated protests, thrashing and kicking, yet Glenn maintained a tight grip.

As he opened the front door, Melissa's protests grew louder. She pushed against the door with her feet, trying to prevent Glenn from taking her outside.

"Lis, I'm doing this because I care about you," he explained, the tone of his voice unwavering. "We need to work on our marriage, and that means getting out of this house."

As they stepped into the open air, Melissa's cries softened. The world outside seemed unfamiliar to her, the realization that life had continued without pause dawning on her.

"You haven't been out here in a while," he observed. "Did you know the Bowlers moved?"

Melissa shook her head, her focus lost in the vast sky above. "No, I didn't. I haven't talked to Connie in a while."

A knot tightened in Glenn's stomach as he grasped the extent of their isolation. Determined to mend their connection, he began to speak, but Melissa's panic interrupted.

"Did you hear that?" she cried, her eyes wide with fear.

Glenn scanned their surroundings, puzzled. "What? What did you hear?"

Melissa's breathing quickened, and she clutched at his arm. "A baby. I...I...I heard a baby crying."

Glenn looked around, seeing nothing. "There's no baby here," he reassured, but Melissa was already sprinting towards the creek, her desperate plea echoing in the quiet neighborhood. "There's a baby! I hear it, I hear it!"

Glenn ran after her, his heart pounding in his chest. "The neighbors will see you!" he shouted. "Come back, Melissa!"

Glenn then hears Melissa's urgent cry, "Glenn, call the police! There's a baby!"In the distance, Glenn spots Melissa cradling a small infant in her arms. He rushes inside to make the call.

Melissa cradling a small infant, her whisper cutting through the chaos. "It'll be okay. I'm here now."

...

As the night dragged on, Melissa paces back and forth in the kitchen. The dim light above the table barely brightened the heavy air between her and Glenn. Her mind despereatly searching for the right words. She felt the need to say something, but the right words escaped her.

Finally breaking the quiet, she stopped pacing and faced Glenn. "Glenn, we should adopt him." she said, her voice lacking its usual energy. Glenn looks at her with surprise, his disbelief evident. "But what about the timing, Lis? It hasn't been that long," he says cautiously, as his words lingered.

Melissa kneels before Glenn. Her voice trembled as she spoke, "You can say it after we lost our baby." Tears welled up in her eyes as she covers her face and trembles. "Maybe this is what we need to find closure. I...I really think it's the right thing to do," she confessed, staring at the kitchen floor.

Weariness etched on Glenn's face as he lets out a sigh. He then rose from the table and silently walked upstairs, leaving Melissa on the kitchen floor, still grappling with her emotions.

Melissa, still tearful, rises from the floor and says softly, "I know it's the right thing to do." She sits down and takes out her phone, searching for information.

After what felt like an eternity, Glenn returned to the kitchen, a note in his hand. "Here's the number for Hank's lawyer. He's supposed to be some big-time lawyer in Nampa," he mumbled. "I don't know much about this law stuff; that's always been my ma's forte. But I know if she were alive, she'd want me to go all in."

A faint smile spreads across Melissa's face as she jumps into Glenn's arms. "Thank you," she whispered.

......

Melissa craddled Julian in her arms as he cooed, then a warm glance at Glenn. "I can't believe we're doing this," she whispered.

Glenn responded, "It's been a long nine months." He then joined the live session, whispering, "Hello, Cher." Melissa eagerly blurted out, "Hi, Ma," proudly showcasing Julian's outfit.

Judge Gratton entered the call, noting, "I see people are no longer pouring in. Let's get started with the final adoption, Mr. and Mrs. Novak. If you could please raise your right hands to be sworn in." Melissa and Glenn raised their right hands, and the judge continued, "Do you solemnly swear or affirm that the testimony you're about to give will be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you, God?"

Melissa and Glenn nodded and said, "Yes."

...

Ransom followed up, "Do you each understand that when the court enters a final judgment in this matter, Julian will become your heir just as if he were born to the two of you?"

Melissa and Glenn nodded and said, "Yes."

Judge Gratton remarked, "I have heard amazing things about you two. From Melissa's time at Saint Fenrir to working with you in Idaho's DJJ, and Glenn, your tremendous support in aiding Melissa back to health. I know for certain this is the perfect home for Julian. There's nothing Julian Ozouf Novak wants more than for the two of you to be his mom and dad forever and to have the family that you promised him. So, I wish you the very best of luck. As of today, I announce that your son, Julian Ozouf Novak, is forever your son. Your guests can now unmute. Congratulations." The judge left the call.

Melissa and Glenn began crying and showering Julian with kisses. Melissa's mom chimed in, "Sweetie, I am so happy for you. It's almost like you're glowing. I can't wait to see you two later." The air was thick with love, joy, and the realization that they had officially become a family set in.

Little did they know, beneath the surface of their newfound happiness, resided an intriguing bond that was quietly at bay.

――☽☼☾――――