Walls

Griff
We left our shift at least an hour early. For the first time in forever, I've left my shift without filling the quota, and today of all days proves it to be a lot.

Cal's smart, he cut off our watches and left them over in our stations, just in case there's a tracker in them. We had to hide our hands and dodge H-rags when we could. The Instigate was nice when you took a minute to appreciate it. It's based on a real world town, polished and proper, with our housing in apartment-like areas and our working stations out in buildings based around the town.

There's blooming red flowers, and green grass, with leafy trees, but the most prominent color was an a nice off white, plastered over most houses and buildings, usually accompanied with blue or yellow, with brick patterns to give the eyes a rest from all the bright colors. We even get holidays and days off, and we're free to use money we earn to pay for things like books or sweets, stuff like that.

On the surface, the Instigate is a fairly nice place, and for all we know, we could have it easy. Outside could really be a wasteland, or a dictatorship, or a practical anarchy more harsh than what we have, but we're not gonna find out till we leave.

Cal's dad works a shoemaking shift right now over in the manufacturing sector, a large metal building used for creating most of the clothes, tools, and utilities sent out to the world. We got inside without much of a hassle. Cal could navigate the long halls as if he had been there every day. We entered a room with a shoe making station, and a man standing next to it, trying to fill his quota, making black and white tennis shoes. His eyes lit up when he heard Cal.
"Hey, dad, I got really good news."

Seeing his dad's face light up was sweet, especially because I always saw him as a quiet, desolate man.
Cal handed his dad the knife, the blade tip thin and sharp.
"I've been buddying up that H-rag for the better part of two years, all for this moment. Now I got what I need to take him down."

Wait, I'm gonna be a product of murder? I wanna get out, but not that badly. Cal noticed me look on edge and reassured me.
"Oh, we're not killing him."

Thank God.

"Were jumping him."

Great, much better.