Crickets

Javier
           Illinois
                        12/21/26
Traveling with this girly fool was something alright. The only reason I stuck with him after the prison bus incident was because he had the gun, and having someone who can help me when I need it is better than having no one at all. We've been out here about two days, and being the only one who knows how to hunt and cook, tires my back from how much I'm carrying him.

We had deer for dinner and a rule along with it. Once we finish off the food we have, we'll make our way to a town nearby. We should have at least another day or two before that comes, though. Until then, I'm stuck with "pretty boy" over here. The least I could do was get to know him so I don't hate my company.

We spent the day mostly in silence, which meant the night would be just as quiet if I didn't say anything. He doesn't like talking, which I could work with, but silence will drive me mad. I'm used to being in a full house full of annoying people who talk a lot and don't pay the bills.

The crickets were making more noise than Aslan ever did, but for all I knew, he could be a social butterfly too shy to speak. I wasn't good with small talk, and with someone I didn't know, it was even worse. I would have to work with the boring gringo topics of conversation rather than something that would actually keep me awake.

It was the dead of night in total silence when I asked, "Where are ya from kid?"
He looked up at me, surprised I even spoke before answering.

"A lot of places, my family moves a lot. If I went home right now, they'd probably be long gone."

I couldn't help but chuckle, annoyed we might have something in common.
"Same, but you didn't answer my question."

He stretched his neck, the most movement he's gotten all day.
"Turkey. My grandmother was from Korea. Moved since she wanted to live a different life. Thought the Americas were too overrated, went to Turkey instead. Then my parents felt the same way when they had me. Now I'm here."

He was setting himself up to talk about his entire biography and family tree.

"What about you? I don't even know your name."

Now he was pushing it. I keep to myself for a reason because I'm a hypocrite, through and through.

"My name's Hernando. My mama was born in Mexico, never knew my dad, big shocker, huh?"

It was enough to make him chuckle, which was good enough for me.
I don't like making friends, which is why we were strictly accomplices, comrades, or escape buddies if you will.
"You miss your parents?"

He took a minute to think about it, then shook his head. The usual answer for someone in a cell is that we wouldn't be there otherwise. All I could do was hope he wasn't one of those psychos who hid their true personality till the right moment. Two face's are much scarier than those who scream who they truly are, you never know with them.

"What about you, Hernando? You miss your mom."

"Yep."
Instant. If he wants to make fun of me for it, that'll be his problem to deal with, but with what I got on him so far, he's too scared to. He just nodded, not having anything more to say.

With that, we didn't speak for the rest of the night. Kinda weird note to leave off of. I was hoping he'd continue with some deep question, but when I looked over at him, he was fast asleep.

This was gonna be a long couple of days.