Chapter 6: The Drive-in Theatre

Jungkook just could not stand it anymore. He laid flat on his back staring at the ceiling as if it would give him the courage he desperately craved. Once he finally got to talk with Cool Ranch the moment was cut short and left him confused and unsure of how to navigate his relationship, if he could even call it that, with someone so outside of cultural norms. He turned over to his side to face the wall and pulled the covers over his head but soon the light began to leak through the duvet. If Cool Ranch was too afraid to text him, it would be up to Jungkook to express interest to keep the relationship going.

Jungkook

I thought about what you said and I was thinking about how if you wanted to we could maybe go outside sometime or something...

He reread the message and decided to delete it and try again because he thought it sounded stupid. He wanted to seem confident and sure so Cool Ranch Doritos would know that he was taking things seriously.

Jungkook

Are you free today? I've been wanting to go see a new movie and wondered if you'd like to join me :)

He hit send and held is breath in anticipation for a response after what felt like an eternity, which was likely closer to 5 minutes, he locked the screen and dragged himself to the bathroom to get ready for the day.

He positioned himself in front of the mirror like he did everyday gently brushing his top right molars. 

How could I have even thought that Cool Ranch was into me? Relationships never work out for me anyways. Maybe Suga and V are right I should focus on my career.

He bent over the sink and spit. The toothpaste running into the drain seemed to judge him just as harshly as he was.

Jungkook walked back into his bedroom with nothing but a white fluffy robe around his waist and gently sat down on the edge of the mattress. After a few moments he saw the display of his phone light up with a notification.

Cool Ranch Doritos (2 minutes ago)

I actually have a client I have to meet today for work...

Jungkook's heart sank. How could he be so dumb to think anyone would like him especially someone as seemingly perfect as Cool Ranch Doritos. He clicked the notification to respond, hopefully in a respectful and empathetic manner when he noticed the full message read:

Cool Ranch Doritos

I actually have a client I have to meet today for work but I bet that I can find an excuse to get out of it!! I'm glad you reached out despite airing out how I've been feeling I was still too nervous to make a move lol

His heart began to flutter around in his chest causing him to lose his breath a bit. Probably because he was high off the feelings he responded without thinking.

Jungkook

It's a date then :)

Meet me at the cinema on 13th Street in Greenwich Village at 8pm okay

He could not believe he had a date for later that day especially since he's not usually this spontaneous. Despite it all he could feel that this was right. He looked up at the top of the display and in a moment of clarity realised that he needed to go to the recording studio. He gathered his belongings and with a bright smile on his face braced himself for the day ahead.

Usually recording days are Jungkook's least favourite because of how tedious retakes of the same lines can be until the company is completely satisfied with the results. Sometimes he'll spend hours and hours recording and rerecording the same verse over and over. He usually is completely drained by the end of these days but today he could not be more energetic and in high spirits. This reflected strongly in his work allowing him to finish even earlier than expected. Jungkook gets off the bus and takes a short walk to his him to get ready for their first DATE!!