❝ BLAMED ❞

word count : 3.1k words
dictionary: pesu si nga fpìl nga lu - who do you think you are | sepu - dad | win säpi - hurry | keyawr fya'o - wrong way | kehe - no

your heart rate was increasing rapidly as you approached the shore. you hated being in huge crowds. in fact, ever since you appeared this planet gave you had the underlying sense of fear. a sense of deja-vu grew in your stomach as you recognised the same panic you felt on your arrival, but you brushed it off and climbed out of the water, standing far behind lo'ak.

it was late at night, later than you thought. clearly you had explored with lo'ak longer than you should have. only the light from the village and the torches held by the na'vi in front of you allowed you to see. your eyes darted around the crowd as you tried your hardest to find someone that wasn't looking at you like you were some...monster.

you couldn't even look at neteyam, not because neytiri was right beside him but because his gaze was equally full of distaste. the hateful aura reminded you of his mother.

you hadn't even noticed lo'ak being harshly scolded by the village elders (mainly jake and ronal). you distracted yourself by digging your nails into the palms of your hands in a poor attempt to calm your breathing.
'its not that serious, you're fine y/n' you repeated the phrase in your head, closing your eyes as you hoped it would—

"and you!"

your eyes shot open as the loud voice snapped you out of your thoughts.
lo'ak had joined his siblings in the crowd, looking at you empathetically as he stood next to his mother. ronal's eyes held nothing but fury, she held an accusing finger in your direction and angrily stormed towards you.

"pesu si nga fpìl nga lu!?" her shouting—no, screaming switched from english to na'vi as ronal tried to convey her negativity in the strongest way possible. "we give you shelter and you repay us like this!?"

wait a minute.

you hadn't heard much of what ronal said to lo'ak but there was no way it was this intense. what was going on?
surely she wasn't this mad because her own child left you in the ocean?

however, your confused face only fuelled ronal's anger.

"do not act fool, tawtute! you dare try to trick our children into exploring beyond the reef!? what authority do you have?!"

oh.

ao'nung had blamed you so he wouldn't get in trouble...

you turned to look at ao'nung, eyebrows furrowed as you awaited an explanation. your eyes widened as he refused to meet your gaze, his eyes glued to the floor in embarrassment. you then looked at lo'ak with pleading eyes, begging him to defend you. instead, you watched neytiri's grasp on her son's shoulder tighten, forcing lo'ak to bite his lip in dejection and avoid your eyes regretfully.

...and no one was willing to defend you.

ronal started walking closer towards you, forcing to stumble backwards. you were too shocked to speak so you stood in silence.

'how could they abandon you so easily?' thoughts of this sort overflowed your mind.
but how could you forget?

you were different. you had no place here. no matter how strong you thought your friendship was, you were always going to be the last choice.

I mean, when was the last time someone mentioned spider?

ronal's resentful words had been drowned out, it was replaced by a loud ringing throughout your eardrums
had your heartbeat always been so loud?