Chapter 7: Meeting

A gentle nudge and an even softer, "Hey," lured me from my light slumber. My head had made a pillow of the window, and my warm clothing sufficed to keep me comfortable. "We're here."

"Right," I groaned out, stretching my arms first and then my cramped legs once I stood. The lids of my eyes felt like I had thousand-pound weights buried right into the roots of my eyelashes as I peered outside. A twinge of sadness nestled at the top of my sternum, in that little divot between neck and ribcage, the realization hitting me that I was no longer home.

Pine and autumn did not greet us when we stepped off the jet. My legs still shook from my fear of flying, and I was overly relieved to be back on solid ground.

With my bags, Price led the two of us toward the entrance. The air was different, a familiar thickness I'd not breathed in too long of a time, and I wondered how long it would take until my body acclimated to it. Not only would I need to adjust to the dense quality of this contrasting climate, but also the dust mingling with oxygen, coating my lungs.

"I can carry my own stuff," I muttered, hand extended to take something.

"Nope," he replied, short yet civil.

Was he acting chivalrous out of spite or because he wanted to? Distrust had already begun to resurface when Price broke into my home, but now being back on base, I could feel my muscles tighten in an intrusive sensation of grimness, an edge of apprehension. How could I not when there were memories here, mostly good ones, but still?

Maybe it was a conditioned response as if I'd been made into one of Pavlov's dogs since every time we returned to base, blood covered me head to toe and remnants of war soaked through past my skin.

Even after being away for a while, it was as if I hadn't left at all. Still ingrained as deeply as my ability to redirect my frame of mind, my feet traveled the halls alongside Price with ease.

I half-expected to be outwitted, for Simon to be there as a surprise, welcoming me back. As some sort of consolation for my grief or... a gift for choosing the right thing? How childish of me to think so naively.

Thankfully, we didn't have to pass the mess hall, private quarters, or anywhere else that might have triggered unwanted ghosts to return, and we made it to the door which shut anyone unwelcome out. Masculine, muffled voices came from behind it, and I watched as Price set my luggage beside the doorway.

"Come on," he waved for me to follow.

"Oh. I'm going- well, alright," I stammered out as I continued to follow him into the meeting room I'd been in countless times before.

A familiar voice came from in front of Price as he stopped right in the middle of the doorway with one hand still on the handle, causing me to almost run smack into him. My hands briefly met his back before my face could.

I recognized that Scottish accent. "Perfect timing, Captain. We were just about to cover the most recent intel regarding Graves."

Who else would be welcoming me back? Who else had survived? My heart raced as I imagined who else I'd be seeing around.

"And I've got quite the surprise for all of you, Lieutenant."

Lieutenant. A worthy title for a well-deserving soldier. And when the time came, I hoped the crown of a Commander reigned down upon him with the brightest badge of honor if he'd ever wanted it.

I could not deny, though, the sting of having the designated rank not match the same face I'd become accustomed to occupying that spot.

It made my cheeks burn with confliction. Better than tears, I told myself.

My appearance was then revealed to the few people who took up the average-sized space furnished with a long table lined with enough chairs, a map of Afghanistan illuminated on the wall. A filing cabinet and another smaller desk pressed against the wall on each side of the room.

With his back turned to the right side of the room, Price gestured for me to enter.

A kind grin warmly accepted my attendance as Soap spoke, "We've been looking for you. You sure know how to hide, lassie."

"I do," an amused smile lifted my lips. "I hope I gave y'all some sort of chase. Also, sorry, I'm underdressed."

I gave Gaz, who was sitting in a chair beside Soap, a small wave. Had been given Second Lieutenant? Why were there... not a lot of people in here? It only made sense it would be him with the lack of turnout.

Soap then replied, "I know it's been a while since your last mission, but we'd like you to come with us in a couple of days since you're here. Something small to accommodate for the hiatus."

This was all happening too fast. I'd just arrived, and now I was being thrust into a mission already. My body, used to only hiking and the occasional push-up, surely would not withstand something strenuous right off rip?

"Where you going?" I asked, raising a brow, my attention turning away from Gaz and back to Soap.

"Couple o' cities away from Las Almas. Alejandro'll be there to meet us by a checkpoint."

My face grimaced at the mention of Las Almas. The last place I wanted to go was there. "Not in Las Almas?"

From behind me, Price answered still standing a foot away from me, arms crossed. "It's overrun by Shadows. Graves made some sort of deal with Valeria, protection for protection, and now the city is even less safe for any of us."

I couldn't help but smirk when he spoke about protection. "Sounds familiar."

My gaze drifted off to the Lieutenant who continued, "The city is in their pretty palms so now we're trying to find them there."

"I can tell you right now that Graves isn't physically hiding in Las Almas," I replied as I dug out the last granola bar from my stash when my stomach protested gently.

Soap raised a brow. Not at the bite of my choice of snack but at my comment. "And why's that?"

Hesitantly, I answered him after I swallowed. "Have you seen how he reacts around someone who isn't white? Why would he... want to live around people he doesn't particularly like? While I'm not necessarily surprised at his deal, however, even if he were in hiding, he's still going to be picky."

Gaz snorted, and I witnessed a moment of... questionable amusement pass between Captain and Lieutenant.

"What's the look for? Am I wrong?"

Price adjusted his stance behind me, hands now in his back pockets, the sound of his boots scuffling filled the room before he spoke. "No, you're not wrong. We've been hearing conflicting things from people who we trust, and coming from a former Shadow, it just solidifies our plan."

"Where else has he been spotted?" I asked, popping in the last bite of my puny excuse for dinner into my mouth.

I turned when Price answered, "Las Almas, Afghanistan, Russia, all the places I mentioned before. He's never there long."

Soap added, "Once we get there, he's gone." I felt like I was getting whiplash from how often my head twisted back and forth.

Gaz cleared his throat, another shuffle of boots behind me from Price.

"Shadows are constantly moving. Of course he's not going stay somewhere for long," I said.

That much I was confident of. If Graves kept to his old ways, everything that spewed out of me contained nothing but the truth.